Individuals interested in applying for STS and STS II can receive an application via mail, fax, or online. To receive an application via mail or fax, contact STS at 704-336-2637 or click here
to download your application.
On your application, you will need to describe your disability and how it impacts your ability to use CATS fixed route service. The application must be verified and signed by a medical, rehabilitation or healthcare professional.
After you've completed your application, mail it back to STS at
901 N. Davidson Street
Charlotte, NC 28206.
Or fax them to:
Once STS receives your application, you will be contacted to schedule your appointment for an in-person interview and possibly a functional assessment.
All interviews will be conducted at the Charlotte Transportation Center, located at 310 East Trade, Charlotte, NC 28203. Interview hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Based on demand, Saturday interview hours may be available.
Once your interview and assessment are complete, you will be considered either:
- Eligible to ride STS
- Eligible with conditions or
- Ineligible to ride STS
Those considered as eligible to ride STS will be sent a letter of determination stating their certification and their eligibility to use CATS' STS service.
Applicants determined to be ineligible or eligible with conditions may appeal their evaluation. An independent panel has been established to hear appeals and does include a person with a disability.
Depending on the nature of your disability, STS may also require that you be certified by a Functional Assessment professional that you are unable to use CATS Fixed Routes Buses. STS staff will let you know if this assessment will be required. The new ADA regulations require that STS transport those with disabilities who:
- Are unable to board, ride or get off an accessible bus without the assistance of someone, other than the operator of the lift or other boarding device, or
- Are able to board, ride and get off an accessible bus, but require Transportation during a time when such a bus is not being used on a route, or
- Have a specific impairment-related condition that prevents them from traveling to or from a bus stop.
- If you live within Charlotte's City limits or the towns of Pineville and Matthews, or if someone can get you to where you will be within the city limits, and your destination is within this area, STS rides are possible.