Job Opportunities Internship Opportunities Cabinet Openings
There are no job opportunities at this time.
We still have one intern spot available and are still taking applications! Please only apply if you are able to work at least six hours on Mondays (in addition to other days/times of the week) and if you are able to get course credit!
The Office of International Relations offers one to two internships each academic semester and in the summer. These internships offer an opportunity to garner a wealth of knowledge pertaining to international relations, economic development and governance. As these positions are non-salaried, students are required to receive academic credit for their internship.
Fall and Spring Semesters
Duration: mid-August to mid-December (fall); mid-January to mid-May (spring)
Hours: minimum of 16 hours per week, preferably in 5+ hour blocks.
Deadline for Applications: August 1 (fall); November 2 (spring)
Duration: mid-May to mid-August
Hours: minimum of 30 hours per week
Deadline: March 15
Intern duties may include:
- General office administration
- Community outreach and publicity - speaking with the community; generating press releases and news articles
- Desktop publishing - creating a weekly bulletin of international events in the Charlotte area
- Website maintenance
- Database maintenance - updating and maintaining the International Organizations and other databases
- Project management and execution – work on projects as directed by the International Relations Manager and Coordinator
Required & Preferred Skills:
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to multi-task
- Relevant educational background (university-level coursework), preferably in an international area of study
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Interest in and commitment to international relations and cooperation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with social media (including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn)
- Some experience with website management (Content Management Systems and databases) is desirable, but not required
- Knowledge of a second language is a plus, but not required
We also offer opportunities for international students seeking experience volunteering in an American office environment. International interns must be at least 21 years old.
Interested students should submit a cover letter and résumé to Alexis Gordon at email@example.com. Only those candidates being invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cabinet members are appointed to serve three-year terms by the Mayor or City Council. Individuals are appointed under the following categories: Business, Education, Ethnic/Cultural, Non-Profit, and an "Open" category. To find out if there are any current openings on the Cabinet please click here. A City Boards and Commissions application must be completed and filed with the City Clerk's Office to be considered for appointment.