Candidates must pass a written examination and a Job Related Physical Ability Test to obtain an application packet. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Recruiting Staff administers these tests regularly throughout the year at the Training Academy. (Test Dates)
Applicants interested in testing should first visit the links on the Police Academy page. Each link is specific to benefits, written and physical testing, FAQs and so forth. If you have questions after reading this information, contact a member of the Recruitment Staff. If you have no questions, download the Waiver & Release and read and sign the form. Once you're ready to complete both the written and physical tests, sign-up on our website.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is obligated to hire the most qualified Police Officer candidates available. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. To accomplish this goal, the comprehensive selection process requires applicants to successfully complete the following:
- Darany Entry Level Police Officer Examination
- Job Related Physical Ability Test (Check out how to practice for the JRPAT)
- Recorded Oral Interview
- Psychological Examination
- Polygraph Examination
- Extensive Background check
- Chain of Command Review
- Civil Service Board Approval
- Behavioral Interview
- Medical Examination
- Drug Screening
If accepted as a Police Recruit, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department will challenge you physically and academically with a 22-week training program with pay. Following basic recruit school, your education and training will continue for an additional 15 weeks with a veteran Field Training Officer.
1. Read over the information explaining the application process
2. Download the Physical Ability Test/Waiver & Release Form. Read and sign the form.
3. Sign up for a test date on-line.