The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) offers an exciting and rewarding non-paid internship program which introduces college students to the opportunities and disciplines within the law enforcement field.
Interns work alongside department personnel in a wide spectrum of assignments throughout the
CMPD. Interns will be exposed to effective problem-solving and partnership-building skills as well as gaining a better understanding of day-to-day operations of the police department. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department offers internships during the fall, spring, and summer semesters of each academic year. CMPD does not provide housing and transportation.
Qualifications and Expectations
Before obtaining an application for the internship program, candidates should also read the qualifications listed below:
- Interns must be under graduate or graduate students currently enrolled in a college or university
- Candidates will be required to successfully complete an oral interview and background investigation as part of the qualification process
- CMPD interns must be able to work varying hours, depending on the need of their respective assignment
- The candidates criminal history, arrests and past drug use will be reviewed as part of the qualification process
- Interns are expected to be on time to assignments and to give appropriate notice to their supervisors when absences are anticipated
- Have reliable transportation to and from work
- Attend all necessary training and meetings
- Interns should possess strong research and analytical skills
- Interns should possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Interns should possess strong organizational skills
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and various data bases)
- Be able to write or transcribe information using proper grammar and syntax
Those selected for an internship must submit to a drug test before accepting the position.
All candidates must complete the internship application. Candidates will also submit a letter of interest specifying the following items:
- Reason for applying
- Area of interest
- Overall career goals
- Tell us about yourself and life experiences
Candidates will also need to submit a certified copy of their college transcript and have their academic advisor complete the recommendation form. All forms in this application packet must be filled out completely (black ink or typewritten) and original signatures are required.
All packets should be mailed to the Internship Coordinator at the CMPD Training Academy. After packets are received, interviews will be scheduled and background checks conducted on all candidates.
Please return the completed packet accompanied by your resume, a letter of interest, a letter of recommendation from your advisor and an official copy of your transcripts to the CMPD Training Academy.
Mail all correspondence to:
Officer Valerie Cousin
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Recruitment Division
1770 Shopton Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28217
Contact Officer Cousin by e-mail.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department values all its interns and strives to create a work atmosphere that facilitates growth and learning. We value integrity and are committed to enhancing our organization and community through hard work and respect for others. We are very excited about the Internship Program and look forward to meeting and placing new interns in positions throughout the department.