The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Physical Ability Test is a timed event performed on a pass/fail basis. Applicants must complete the test in a time of 6:18 (Six minutes eighteen seconds) or less.
A street address will be given prior to the test. The address must be correctly given at the end of the test, (if incorrect, the penalty is repeat the 200 yard run). The test will begin from a seated position.
1. RUN 200 YARDS (UP AND BACK 50 FOOT DISTANCE 6 TIMES)
2. STEP UP ON AEROBIC STEP BENCH 20 TIMES
3. PERFORM 15 PUSH-UPS (NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONTINUOUS)
4. PERFORM 15 SIT-UPS (NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONTINUOUS)
5. STEP UP ON AEROBIC STEP BENCH 20 TIMES
6. PERFORM 15 PUSH-UPS (NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONTINUOUS)
7. PERFORM 15 SIT-UPS (NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONTINUOUS)
8. RUN 200 YARDS (UP AND BACK 50 FOOT SIX TIMES)
9. STREET RECALL (IF WRONG, PENALTY IS REPEAT 200 YARD RUN)
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Job Related Physical Ability Test is a baseline test used to determine a candidate's ability to perform the essential job functions of a Police Officer. Success on the test should not be used by candidates to gauge their level of fitness for the purposes of attending the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Academy. The Job Related Physical Ability Test allows applicants to prepare themselves by practicing prior to their testing date. Applicants should continue to prepare themselves to be challenged physically in an academy setting if hired by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
RETEST POLICY: IF AN APPLICANT FAILS THE JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST HE/SHE WILL BE ALLOWED TO RETAKE THE TEST ON A SUBSEQUENT AVAILABLE TEST DATE. A SECOND FAILURE ON THE JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FOR A PERIOD OF ONE YEAR.