Open Application for Police Trainee is closed.
Lateral Police Officers should apply under the same application.
The CMPD accepts applications during various times throughout the year.
Announcements regarding the open application process can be found here.
The position is listed as "Police Trainee" and both new applicants and Lateral Officers are encouraged to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications please do not call the Recruitment Division. The process for the position of police officer is competitive. Applications will be further screened. Your application will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be notified by the Recruiting Division.
10 Steps to Becoming Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s Finest
Please note: the following steps are a general overview of the steps to being hired for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
1. ONLINE APPLICATION PERIOD. CMPD posts job openings for the position of police officer on a quarterly basis. Dates for future job postings are based on the needs of the department. Follow our website at www.CMPD.Org for the announcement and job opening period.
Applicants can also follow us on or for announcements and information.
Applicants are also encouraged to review the “How to Apply” link prior to the open application date.
2. TESTING. Selected applicants will be invited to participate in the Written and Job-Related Physical Abilities Test (JRPAT).
The Written Exam consists of reading comprehension and retention. There are no recommended study guides for the Written Exam. Applicants who do not successfully pass the Written Exam must wait 3 months before retesting.
· Applicants should review the requirements for the physical fitness test (JRPAT) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2jid57KGl4 . Applicants who do not successfully pass the JRPAT must contact the CMPD Recruitment Division for a new test date.
3. PSYCHOLOGICAL SCREENING. Applicants will be subject to psychological screening with a licensed psychologist.
4. INTERVIEW. Candidates who pass both the written and physical fitness tests will be invited for an interview.
5. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION. Applicants selected to continue in the hiring process will undergo a thorough background investigation to ensure the applicant meets all state, city and department standards.
6. POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION. Applicants will be subject to a polygraph examination as part of the hiring process.
7. CHAIN of COMMAND INTERVIEW. All applicants will be interviewed by command staff members for hiring consideration.
8. MEDICAL EVALUATION. All applicants will be subject to a full medical evaluation and drug screening.
9. CIVIL SERVICE BOARD. In order to be hired as a police officer in Charlotte-Mecklenburg, applicants must have approval of the Civil Service Board. The Board meets once a month to review an applicant’s background to determine suitability for hire.
10. ACADEMY. Successful applicants will be assigned an academy date based on the needs of CMPD.
**Are you a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in North Carolina? The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is considering qualified, certified law enforcement officers for our Lateral Entry Program. Contact Recruitment Staff for more information!**
**Military Members take advantage of our Military Recruitment Program!**