The Ride-Along Program is designed to allow residents of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County to observe police operations from an internal perspective by riding with on-duty police officers. The program is intended to be an educational tool for participants and is designed to acquaint citizens with the complexities of police work.
Guidelines for Ride-Along Program
1. The participant must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
2. Ride-Along participants will not be permitted more than two opportunities to ride-along during a year.
3. Ride-Along applications must be fully completed before submission.
4. The applicant should specify the police district where he or she wishes to ride.
5. The applicant should specify a duty shift and approximate date for participation. Shifts are limited to day shift and afternoon/evening shift. No night shifts are allowed.
6. Once the form has been completed, submitted and approved by the unit Captain, the applicant will be notified of the date, time and shift of the ride-along.
7. Processing takes 10 - 14 days.
8. The applicant must sign a liability release prior to beginning the ride-along.
Click here to begin the Application Process