Since 1986, the MYEP has worked to prepare Charlotte’s youth for future employment. The program focuses on leveraging relationships with businesses and the community to provide meaningful, career-oriented internships for participants.
THE GOAL: To improve neighborhood quality of life through a community engagement strategy that ensures children are safe, succeeding in school, and supported by their community.
MYEP seeks to build partnerships with host employers in the private, public, and non-profit sectors of Charlotte’s economy who are able to provide one-of-a-kind career experiences for MYEP participants. Businesses provide career experiences that help youth develop career goals, stay in school, achieve academically, and enhance social skills that enable them to succeed in life. Students connect to the world of work which enables businesses and communities to know the needs and successes of the students and schools.
About Our Program:
MYEP participants are motivated high school students recommended to the Program by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) Career Development Coordinators (CDCs) who refer from their entire campuses. Students referred may include those associated with various community partners, such as Communities In Schools (CIS) and Right Moves For Youth (RMFY); these organizations are committed to helping us find the appropriate youth for jobs. Students must be 16-18 years of age at the time of application.
- Internships are generally eight (8) weeks in duration (can be adjusted to fit employer’s needs) and begin mid-June.
- Students work 20 hours per week, at a minimum rate of $8.00 per hour.
- Student interns are monitored closely throughout the summer by the MYEP staff and referral partner liaisons.
- In some cases, our student interns are available to continue work with the host employer throughout the school year.
Applying students must:
- Have a valid current North Carolina photo ID and a Social Security Card
- Demonstrate work experience or participation in extracurricular activities
- Compose a 500 word essay detailing why they want to participate in the MYEP
- Obtain two professional letters of recommendation
- Complete a MYEP intern interview
- Successfully pass a drug screening and background check
To successfully complete the Program students must:
- Complete the Career Readiness Training Certification, covering job readiness, customer service, and financial literacy
- Attend the Charlotte Career Discovery Day event
As a participant in MYEP, students will receive job mentoring, coaching and valuable hands-on experience with one of our business partners*.
*Business partner placement is subject to position availability.
Become a Host Employer