What is the purpose of SBE Certification?
What SBE Certification means to your small business?
- To grow small businesses in the Charlotte Regional Area.
- Prepare Small Business Enterprises (SBEs) to be competitive when competing for city contracts.
- You can bid on formal and informal City contracts
- Your company information is included in the Citywide Vendor List
- You’ll receive more frequent notices of contracting opportunities
- Attend Doing Business With the City orientation
- Networking events and opportunities
- Business and technical assistance
Applicants seeking SBE Certification must meet the following requirements:
- Principal place of business must be located within the Charlotte Regional Area (Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Anson, York, Union, Gaston, Rowan, Lincoln)
- 51% or more of the applicant business must be owned by one or more “Eligible Owner(s)”
- “Eligible Owner(s)” must have a Personal Net Worth under $750,000 (with exclusions)
- Applicant businesses must be licensed and for-profit
- Actively in business for one year
- Applicant business must perform a commercially useful function
- Applicant business cannot exceed the approved threshold size standards
How to get your SBE Certification
For more information about the Small Business Development Program policies and reports, visit the Small Business Library.