Mecklenburg County has established aPublic Records Policy to affirm the public’s right to access County records and has set forth a standardized procedure for County staff use when providing information to the public. These guidelines also include a fee schedule to cover the cost of responding to public records requests.
All records requests must be submitted in writing and should contain the following information:
- Date of the request;
- Requestor’s name;
- Requestor’s full mailing address:
(name, organization, street address, city, state, ZIP)
- Requestor’s day time phone number;
- A complete description of the record or records requested;
- The title and date of the requested record, if known;
- The location of the requested record, if known;
- Whether the requestor intends to inspect the records or to obtain a photocopy. A fee is required for photocopies as set forth in the procedures.
- This office does NOT maintain Mecklenburg County Court records or documents, including DIVORCE records.
- We do NOT provide CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS or RECORD CHECKS ON INDIVIDUALS.
- Please call the Mecklenburg County Clerk of Court’s Office directly at 704-686-0400 for information, or visit Mecklenburg County Courts.
- For Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department records, please call 311 or visit Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. If you are calling from outside Mecklenburg County, or if your cellular carrier will not connect you to 311, dial 704-336-7600.
- For Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement inquiries and records, please call 311 or visit Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement. If you are calling from outside Mecklenburg County, or if your cellular carrier will not connect you to 311, dial 704-336-7600.
- For property tax records, public records for an address; real estate records; vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce); please call 311 or visit our public records page for more information. If you are calling from outside Mecklenburg County, or if your cellular carrier will not connect you to 311, dial 704-336-7600.
Complete an Online Request
Download, print and mail a request
Once the requestor submits a request form, a representative of Mecklenburg County Public Service and Information office will respond with a written estimate of the approximate time required to address the request.