The Mecklenburg County Senior Citizens Nutrition Program provides nutritionally balanced meals at no cost to seniors who are unable to leave their homes due to illness, disability or frailty through the Home Delivered Meals program. We deliver 2, 5 or 7 frozen meals once a week depending on the need of each customer. Our clients have been very satisfied with the meals because it gives them an opportunity to heat the meal of their choice and eat it at anytime of the day.Who Qualifies for this Service?
- Mecklenburg County residents, age 60+ who are physically or mentally unable to obtain food or prepare meals and they have no responsible person who is able and willing to perform this service
- Are unable to attend congregate nutrition sites in Mecklenburg County because of physical or mental impairment
- The spouse of an older person, if one or the other is homebound by reason of illness or incapacitating disability
- The family caregiver of an eligible older adult
Note: No income eligibility test is required to qualify for this service. A voluntary donation is requested.
How to Apply?
- Call Mecklenburg County’s Just 1 Call service (704-432-1111). The call can be made by the client interested in the service or by a family member, caregiver, volunteer or a friend.
- If the client needs home-delivered meals, a social worker will make an appointment to meet with the client at home for a home-delivered meal assessment.
- Clients who need additional social services will be referred by the social worker to other programs available in the county. If the client needs only home-delivered meals, then a senior nutrition staff will contact the client after the home-delivered meal assessment is completed by the social worker.