We prevent the spread of disease by investigating cases and outbreaks, promoting vaccination, and planning for infectious disease emergencies.
Communicable Disease Control Program Services
General Communicable Disease Control
- investigates general category reportable diseases, implements and enforces control measures and compiles statistical information on these diseases.
- investigates and monitors reported animal-inflicted injuries to humans such as bites, scratches or other exposures, and acts as a consultant to the medical community and general public regarding potential life threatening zoonoses.
- TB nurses protect the health of the citizens of Mecklenburg County by controlling the spread of TB. This is accomplished by skin testing high risk contacts, referral of infected contacts for evaluation and treatment, and by directly observed administration of medications to TB cases and their high risk contacts.
Adult Day Health
- assists in protecting the health of disabled and older adults enrolled in Adult Day Health/Day Care programs in Mecklenburg County by providing information and assistance to individuals and organizations regarding health related activities.
Communicable Disease in Child Care
- provides communicable disease follow-up as well as education and consultation regarding child health and safety issues in child care facilities in Mecklenburg County.