You can protect yourself and others by following these key action steps.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the
tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- If you get sick with flu, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from making them sick. Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Keep frequently touched common surfaces clean.
- Get the recommended seasonal flu vaccine when it becomes available. (Does not protect against H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu).)
- Get the recommended H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available. (Does not protect against Seasonal Flu.) Learn more information about priority groups for vaccination.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle through rest, diet, exercise and relaxation.
Fact Sheets & Posters
Please encourage your employer to distribute the following fact sheets and hang posters at your office:
8 Ways You Can Keep Yourself Healthy at Work
Poster: STOP! Do You Feel Sick? 18" x 24"
Poster: Cover Your Cough 18" x 24"
Poster: Wash Your Hands 18" x 24"
Know your employer’s human resource policies about sick leave, using leave for caring for sick family memberfs, teleworking and flexible work hours.
Learn more about protecting yourself and family from H1N1.