Fit Friendly Companies is a recognition program from the American Heart Association designed to be a catalyst for positive change in businesses across the country. The program encourages employers to create a culture of physical activity, nutrition and health so that their employees may live, healthier lives while being more productive and satisfied with their jobs. In Charlotte, there are 25 companies that have earned the Fit Friendly status and been recognized for promoting health and wellness at their worksite.
A "golden" example of a Fit Friendly Company in Charlotte is the Fortune 500 multi-industry manufacturing leader, SPX. Not only does this company support the expansion of global infrastructure with an emphasis on the growing demand for energy and power, but they energize and empower their own employees with many heart healthy practices.
- SPX Offices are smoke and tobacco free environments.
- SPX publishes a quarterly "Healthy Journey" newsletter for employees that include articles on healthy living, nutrition, exercise, information on walking for fitness and local walking paths.
- "Take the Stairs" flyers are posted in every break room and on bulletin boards throughout the building.
- A fitness trail with 20 stations is located just outside the back of the building with a map of the trail and exercise instructions.
- SPX hosts more than a dozen "Sneaker Days" to encourage employees to walk during the day.
- An onsite fitness center with state of the art equipment is available 24 hours a day for SPX employees. Professional trainers are onsite three morning and two afternoons a week for personal attention.
- Annual health screenings are provided to SPX employees and AEDs are located on each floor.
Adult Americans spend a majority of their waking hours at work and many are in sedentary careers. With obesity costing American businesses $12.7 billion per year in medical expenses and over $200 billion in health-related productivity losses, any program that increases the physical activity of employees will positively impact your bottom line.
If you are interested in being considered as a Fit Friendly Company, contact Brenda Vass at the American Heart Association by calling (704) 208-5519 or email her at Brenda.Vass@heart.org