Greetings again from Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation! After a tough and snowy winter, spring is just around the corner. Park and Rec is ready for early spring with many fun and healthy things to do. We hope this e-newsletter helps you learn about many of our activities.
TIME TO ENTER YOUR POOCH IN THE 'TOP DOG' PHOTO CONTEST FOR PEDIGREE® 2010 BARK IN THE PARK PRESENTED BY FOOD LION!
|Bark in the Park drew 14,500 people last year, most with dogs. Dogs on leashes, please!
Sign-up your dog for this year's Top Dog Photo Contest, part of the Pedigree® 2010 Bark in the Park Dog Festival presented by Food Lion on Saturday, April 24. Bark in the Park will be at Metrolina Expo, 7100 Statesville Rd (the old fairgrounds. Entry period for Top Dog photos runs through Mar. 19 (5pm). Top Dog and owner will receive a portrait by Tianna Fisher, a year's supply of dog food and be grand marshals of the Pooch Parade at Bark in the Park. Last year, 27,700 votes were cast. Winner was Basset Hound "Brentson" featured in this year's logo. Bark in the Park got too big for a park! Metrolina Expo has easy, FREE parking, and received many plaudits for the event last year. Bark admission is FREE.
PARK AND REC OFFERS MANY SPECIAL EVENTS FOR SPECIAL FAMILY AND COMMUNITY NEEDS
If you're looking for great things for kids to do on out-of-school days on Spring Break from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, or things for kids and families to do during the Easter season (you know, like Peter Cottontail and egg hunts!), Park and Recreation is the place to look. Also, it's time for parents to think about summer camps for their kids.
SIGN-UP NOW FOR CHARLOTTE- MECKLENBURG SENIOR GAMES; FOR HEALTH AND FITNESS: LET THE FUN BEGIN IN 2010!
|A participant in Senior Games could even become a state champion!
Seniors, age 55 and better, are invited to register now for fun and fitness in the 2010 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Senior Games, Apr. 20- Jun. 12. Senior Games include 46 athletic events: swimming, golf, tennis, 3 on 3 basketball, racquetball, badminton, track and field, croquet, spin casting, horseshoes and shuffleboard etc. Also non-athletic events: basket weaving, jewelry, knitting, needlework, pottery, uilting, stained glass, weaving, woodworking, sculptures, water colors, essays, poems, dance, and more. Seniors in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties may participate here with events at many Park and Rec venues. Register through Apr. 1, $10 entry fee, plus added fees in some events. To register or for info: www.parkandrec.com
PARK AND RECREATION OFFERS SPRING FLING SHOWCASE MARCH 20, A CHANCE TO LEARN ABOUT MANY FUN PROGRAMS, ACTIVITIES
Park and Recreation invites anyone wanting to learn about our programs and events to attend our Spring Fling Program Showcase, Sat., Mar. 20, 1pm-4pm at Freedom Park
. The event is for anyone looking for free or inexpensive things to do in a tough economy! The Showcase presents information and exhibits about many Park and Recreation spring/summer. programs and events for all ages. Demonstrations, booths and tables about nature centers, rec centers, special events, sports, Therapeutic Recreation, aquatics, greenways, etc. Admission is FREE! For more info call 311 or Linda Ramseur-Williams at 704 336-7644.
TOP AMATEUR BOXERS FROM ACROSS NORTH CAROLINA COMPETE IN STATE GOLDEN GLOVES TOURNEY MARCH 12, 13
|Park and Rec Boxing Coach Al Simpson teaches courtsey, sportsmanship and scholarship as well as boxing.
Mecklenburg Park and Recreation hosts the NC State Golden Gloves Tournament, Fri.-Sat., Mar. 12 and 13 at Sugaw Creek Rec Center
. Bouts start 7pm Fri., 5pm Sat. and run into the night. This event features best amateur boxers from across NC, ages 17-34, in 15-20 bouts each night. Matches for novice and open categories each night, in as many as 11 weight classes. Event features at least one female bout. Admission:$10/adults, $5/ youth, ages11-17, FREE for 10 and under. Tickets sold at door. Could be a sellout, so come early! Sanctioned by USA Boxing. For more info call 311 or Boxing Coach Al Simpson: 704 241-0314 (cell).
BOYS AND GIRLS: REGISTER NOW FOR INDOOR FUN SOCCER AT ARBOR GLEN OUTREACH CENTER IN WEST CHARLOTTE
Boys and girls, ages 4-9, may sign-up now through Mar. 12 for Park and Rec's Indoor FUN Soccer league at Arbor Glen Outreach Center
. Games are Saturdays, Apr. 10–May 22. Participants receive uniform, shin guards, socks, and participation medal. Cost is $40. Emphasis is on basic skills of soccer and having fun! To register click on Eparks
and use Course Code #8052. Or call 311 or visit Arbor Glen Outreach Center. For more info contact Joel Kent: 704 432-1533.
The secret for kids in Rodney's Triathlon is to swim, bike and run well. All three is the key! REGISTER NOW FOR 'RODNEY'S GREAT KIDS TRIATHLON' APRIL 17 AT MECKLENBURG COUNTY AQUATIC CENTER
|The secret for kids in Rodney's Great Kids Triathlon is to swim, bike and run well. All three is the key!
We invite kids, ages 17-under, who enjoy swimming, biking and running to register now for the 13th annual Rodney's Great Kids Triathlon. Registration runs now through Apr. 17 and costs $20 (before April 9, but $25 April 10-April 17). Register in person at the Aquatic Center in uptown Charlotte or mail form to the Aquatic Center
, 800 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Charlotte 28202. (no online registration) There have been some changes to this year's event. Kids ages 8-under will do one lap on both the bike course and the run course.
IF YOUR PERSONAL GOAL IS: 'DON'T WAIT, LOSE WEIGHT', TOM SYKES RECREATION CENTER HAS A PROGRAM FOR YOU!
Park and Recreation and Lake Norman Nutrition offer a "Weight Loss Challenge" Tues. evenings, 6pm-7pm, for 12 weeks beginning Mar. 2 at Tom Sykes Rec Center
. Learn health, nutrition, lifestyle education in a supportive environment that provides skills and motivation to lose the weight. Each week covers a new topic like Proteins; Meal Planning; Metabolism; Nutrition Labels; Digestive Health; Eating Out; and Exercise. Each session has a weigh-in with games, prizes, goal-setting. Series cost: $35. To register, go to www.lakenormanwlc.com
. For more info call 704-432-4803 or 311.
E-PLANT TIPS FOR MARCH FROM THE NC COOPERATIVE EXTENSION SERVICE
In Mecklenburg County, the Cooperative Extension Service is part of Park and Recreation and offers the following tips for gardeners in winter:
- Cut ornamental grasses back to the ground.
- Prune summer blooming clematis just before new growth begins.
- Prune Taxus (yews) in late March or early April. Cut back to green shoots.
- Spray fruit trees before buds open with a dormant oil if scale or insects were a problem. Temperatures must be above 32°F with no chance of freezing within 24 hours after spraying.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT MECKLENBURG COUNTY PARK AND RECREATION: WE CAN ALWAYS USE SOME HELP ON MANY FUN PROJECTS AND EVENTS!
Park and Recreation thanks almost 17,000 volunteers who helped us in the past year. For information on volunteering for any programs contact: Lori Saylor at 704 336-5478. NOTE: Volunteers younger than age 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers for Therapeutic Recreation (TR) must be at least 18. Join the fun! Volunteer for any of the following:
- Amazing Race at Marshall Park. , Mar. 20, 8am-2pm. A fundraiser for Therapeutic Recreation Center Summer Day Camp Scholarship Fund. Volunteers ensure participants are safe, have the next clue and/or assignments. Race is uptown within the I-277 loop.
- Coaches Needed for many sports and events. Coaches are responsible one week night practice a week and game on Saturday. Mostly at rec centers
- Indoor Soccer Coaches, Tuckaseegee.Rec Center, Mar. 24– Jun. 5, about 3 hours a week
- Basketball Coaches, throughout Mecklenburg at many locations, Nov.-Feb. About 3 hours a week
- Cheerleading Coaches, throughout Mecklenburg, Now-Oct., about 3 hours a week
- Baseball Coaches, throughout Mecklenburg, Mar–Jun. about 3 hours a week
- Track and Field Coaches: thoughout Mecklenburg, now-forward, about 3 hours a week Track and Field Coaches (New Opportunity!), Berewick Rec Center, Apr. 1-Jun 1, 5pm-8pm on Tuesdays, head coach and assistant needed.
Tennis Throughout Mecklenburg in spring, about 3 hours a week
- Therapeutic Recreation (These volunteers must be at least age 18 years). Needed for many events including Therapeutic Enrichment Program at Marion Diehl Rec Center , SEALS – TR after school program at Marion Diehl Recreation Center, Adaptive Baseball at Marion Diehl Recreation Center Adaptive Field
- Many new volunteers needed for: U Can Bike 2 cycling program, Golf 4 Fun, Royal Chess Club, Girls Club, etc.
- Park Ambassadors, Nature Preserve Greeters, 4H Club Volunteers always need, many locations.
- Many special projects for clubs and groups
More information on these and many more volunteer opportunities