Information About Rain Barrels:
Rain barrels provide an easy way for homeowners to help protect our streams and lakes in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Capturing the water that flows off your roof keeps rain water out of storm drains and allows it to flow into the ground replenishing the groundwater supply.
Not only are rain barrels ecologically friendly, they are pocket-friendly too. Rain barrels provide you with a free source of chemical-free water for your yard and garden reducing your need for treated water.
A one inch rainfall over a 1,000 square foot roof provides over 620 gallons of water. With the overflow valve you can direct this water to your garden or any other area of your yard.
Rain Barrel Models and Prices:
60 gallon (31 H x 28 W) is $95 / 80 gallon ( 37 H x 28 W) is $110
Comes complete with hardware and installation (one screen, one brass faucet wrapped with Teflon tape, two overflow valves and four screws).
All fittings on the Rain Barrel USA barrel are standard garden hose fittings and if damaged, are easily replaced.
Advantages of the Rain Barrel USA Barrel:
1. Rain Barrel USA barrel is made in the USA.
2. The lid and barrel are made of a 20% recycled high density polypropylene (HDPE).
3. Rain Barrel USA's designed dark green color is an important element. A dark
barrel discourages the growth of algae according to a paper published by the
Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District.
4. The shape of the rain barrel is a cylindrical rather than having a flat area next to
the house. Air and sunlight circulation around the barrel helps prohibit moisture
buildup and prevent mold from forming behind the barrel onto the side of your
5. The fluted ribs are intended to add extra strength to the thick walls of the barrel,
because the most important function of the rain barrel is to hold the rain.
6. The removable lid opens over two feet wide for easy spring cleaning or removal of
pollen and for dipping a bucket inside the barrel.
7. The screened entry blocks leaves and debris and insects. Accumulated material
on the lid can easily be brushed aside.
8. The barrel has a turned down top edge to securely anchor the lid and reinforce
the entire construction. A solid base nearly two feet wide provides a stable
surface when the barrel is full of nearly 500 pounds of rain water.
9. Even with the generous capacity, the barrel can fill quickly when connected to a
downspout draining a section of your roof. The barrel is designed to move excess
water away from your home.
10. Metal ports for our overflow valves and brass faucet are molded into the barrel.
The half inch extra thickness of these metal ports adds greater support for the
11. The barrel has a solid brass faucet with a garden hose thread. Any length
garden or soaker hose can be used rather than limiting the use to a short piece
12. The brass faucet is located about four inches above the bottom of the barrel.
This location is important because it provides maximum drainage from the barrel.
Purchase Your Rain Barrel Now!
Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District has rain barrels in stock. These will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Please call to verify availability and to schedule a time for pick up.
Please call (704) 336-2455 on Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Rain Barrel Sale Policies:
Forms of payment accepted are cash, check or money order only.
Delivery is not provided.
All returns and issues are handled by the manufacturer.
Rain Barrel sales are offered by the Mecklenburg County Soil and Water Conservation District in partnership with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services.
RainBarrelUSA is the manufacturer of our rain barrels. They are located in Waxhaw, NC. Visit their website for more pictures of the rain barrels and other items they manufacture for them. Feel free to contact them directly with any technical questions about the barrels.
Watch a Rain Barrel Video !
Disclaimer: Please note that you are leaving a secure government website.