About the Quality of Life Explorer
The Quality of Life Explorer is an online tool to explore the social, housing, economic, environmental, and safety conditions in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Local residents, businesses, service providers, government agencies, realtors, universities and more can use the Explorer to learn more about the county and its neighborhoods, develop programs and services, and plan for the future.
- Over 80 variables providing detailed information about neighborhood housing stock, household income, jobs, health, education, tree canopy coverage, crime rates, code violations, community engagement, energy consumption and much more
- Maps, trend information, data tables and summary reports for 462 neighborhood profile areas
- Ability to explore data by custom geographies (i.e., the light rail corridor, school zones, business districts, or by jurisdiction such as the City of Charlotte)
- Links to hundreds of city, county and community resources to help people learn more and take action
The Quality of Life Explorer is created in partnership between the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and the UNC Charlotte Urban Institute, with the towns of Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill, and Pineville.
Use the links on this document to explore our community by jurisdictions, local voting districts, and other commonly requested areas.
Want a summary report for your neighborhood?
It's as easy as 1-2-3!
- Go to
- Type your address in the search bar where it says "Search Map" and select your address from the drop-down list that appears. You can then click the "Show Map" button beneath the map to make sure you landed in the right place.
- Click the "Report" button beneath the map to generate a summary report of all the information in the Quality of Life Explorer. And you're done! Or, click on the report header where it says "Summary Report" and you can give your report a custom name.
History of the program
The Quality of Life Explorer
, formerly the Quality of Life Study, has been a resource to our community for over 20 years. In 2012, the study transformed into an interactive dashboard that included all of Mecklenburg County and Charlotte as well as towns of Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville. Because of these changes, data prior to 2010 is not comparable to the data found on the dashboard today. Click below to download past reports.
2010 Quality of Life Study
(12 MB*)2008 Quality of Life Study
(10 MB*)2006 Quality of Life Study
(9 MB*)2004 Quality of Life Study
(23 MB*)2002 Quality of Life Study
with questions. To request a customized training for your organization or group, email