CLT passengers should expect large crowds and parking to be near capacity this summer travel season. Lots and decks will be at or near full occupancy due to added flights by airlines, an increase in originating passengers and Airport construction that has temporarily reduced 5,000 parking spaces. Customers should expect the Daily, which is usually full by Tuesday mornings, and Long Term facilities to be at capacity. Airlines also are predicting high passenger loads this summer. Passengers are advised to arrive early. Peak travel days at the Airport are traditionally Monday mornings, Thursday and Sunday evenings.
CLT will have additional staff assisting travelers on the curbside and in the Arrivals and Departures area.
Passengers are advised to:
- Get dropped off at the Airport, carpool, ride CATS’ Airport Sprinter or use one of the many taxi and ground transportation companies serving the Airport.
- Check parking conditions before leaving for Charlotte Douglas by viewing a real time parking map or calling 704.359.5555.
- Be alert, slow down, obey the speed limit and drive more cautiously while adjusting to CLT’s new entrance road. Drivers headed to the Airport from Josh Birmingham Parkway, Harlee Avenue and Little Rock Road are now directed onto the new roadway, which merges onto Little Rock Road and directly to the terminal. Click here to view a video, showcasing the 1.3 mile route.
- Follow the directions on the variable message signs that have been strategically placed along roadways to help drivers navigate the change.
To save time, passengers should follow the Airport’s SmartPark tips before leaving for CLT:
- Use one of CLT’s two FREE Cell Phone lots, located on Rental Car Road.
- Visit Business Valet where parking will always be available.
- Remember that only immediate loading and unloading are permitted on the curbside. It is prohibited to leave vehicles unattended on Departures/Ticketing or Arrivals/Baggage Claim levels. If your vehicle is left unattended, it will be ticketed and towed.
- Be sure to take a lot locator card from the SmartPark maps inside the parking lot bus shelters. This will help you locate your car upon return.
- Take advantage of the Airport’s Pay&Go stations. Four Pay&Go stations are located at the Daily deck’s shuttle bus stop and two more are located on the curbside in front of the Arrivals/Baggage area. To use, travelers place their parking ticket in a Pay&Go station and pay by credit card. A validated ticket will be returned. Drivers may then proceed to any lane in the designated lots and insert their validated ticket in the machine to exit.
- Use the credit card only or prepaid lanes to save time exiting the Airport’s parking lots. Credit card only lanes are available in all lots. To learn more about how SmartPark Express works, watch this video.