Due to the anticipated increase in vehicle traffic during the Democratic National Convention (DNC), Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) will implement alternate traffic routes. These routes will begin tomorrow at 6 a.m. through Monday, September 3.
During this same timeframe:
- The Cell Phone Lot will be temporarily relocated to 5535 Wilkinson Boulevard. See map.
- The Airport Overlook will be closed.
Routes will be designated with electronic message signs that have been strategically located along Airport property and roadways leading into and out of Charlotte Douglas to assist customers and improve traffic flow. Traffic route details and parking updates will be broadcast on Airport Radio 1610 AM as well.
CLT will have additional staff stationed at key points to assist with directing traffic and passengers both inside and outside of the terminal building.
- Saturday, September 1 – Monday, September 3:
- CLT’s Cell Phone Lot will be relocated to 5535 Wilkinson Boulevard (this is across the street from Business Valet). Lot’s entrance is accessible from Harlee Avenue. See map.
- Airport Overlook will be closed.
- Commercial ground transportation vehicles will be directed to the lower level (Arrivals/Baggage) and personal vehicles to the upper level (Departures/Ticketing) for drop-off and pick-up.
Air travel tips during the DNC:
- Tuesday, September 4 – Thursday, September 6 normal traffic routes will be in place.
- Don’t expect to drive normal routes to and from the Airport, alternate traffic routes will be in place.
- Parking is available and will be available throughout next week, however, passengers may have to park in a different lot or deck than they are accustomed and use alternate routes.
- Read the temporary directional signs when they are activated. Trust what they say and follow them.
- Tune in to Airport Radio 1610 AM for the latest Airport traffic information.
- Passengers should allow extra time to arrive and get settled before a flight and prepare as they would for holiday travel.
- Be patient, plan ahead.
- To save time, travelers are encouraged to print boarding passes before leaving for the Airport.
Visit CLT’s Facebook page
and Twitter feed
(@CLTAirport) for the latest updates in parking, traffic routes and passenger traffic.