This expansion project began in October 2010 and opened to the public in June 2012.
- CLT’s 60,000-square foot terminal eastside expansion included a fifth security checkpoint and additional office and public space.
- Checkpoint E, CLT’s five-lane security checkpoint, opened Friday, June 29, 2012 – bringing the total number of security lanes at Charlotte Douglas to 20.
- The checkpoint has reduced security line wait times for passengers.
- Also included in the terminal eastside expansion, a new and expanded recheck area in U.S. Customs & Border Protection. Passengers are able to collect their luggage and recheck that luggage to connecting domestic flights in a more expedient manner.
Additional space in Departures/Ticketing – Zone E, helps to alleviate congestion during busy travel days.
- New offices for U.S. Customs & Border Protection personnel opened in September 2012.
- New TSA offices were completed in March 2013.
- Sustainability efforts include: The expansion’s glass front wall provides light for the lobby during the day. Installation of a high efficiency chiller lowers the amount of energy needed to cool the expansion. Modern lighting was placed throughout the addition to reduce power costs.
- Terminal eastside expansion cost: $23 million.
For more information about all of the construction projects at the Airport, visit the CLT 2015 Construction page
The project’s contractor is Edison Foard, Inc.