FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Contact: Rob Tufano CMPD Public Affairs Office
As the holiday season approaches, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department would like to remind the community to be aware of their safety and diligent in protecting their property during this time of the year. The CMPD will launch Black Friday operations beginning Thursday evening in and around shopping areas. Operations include:
• Additional patrol officers in cars, on foot, bicycles and dual sport motorcycles
• Recruits from the training academy class will be assigned to assist patrol divisions on Black Friday
• A full complement of sky towers positioned at various shopping locations
• A fully staffed Real Time Crime Center that will assist in operations
• CMPD Reserve Officers and Citizens on Patrol assisting during Black Friday operations
Additionally, the CMPD would also like to remind the community of some helpful holiday shopping safety tips.
Safety in the Parking Lots:
1. Park and walk in well-lit areas.
2. Walk with confidence be aware of people around you, and know where you parked.
3. Always lock your car doors after leaving or entering your car.
4. Have your keys in your hand so that you don’t have to linger before entering your car. Check the back seat before you get in.
5. Don’t leave packages on the car seats. Keep packages out of sight in the trunk or under a covered rear cargo area.
Safety While Shopping
1. Pay with checks or credit cards when possible. Don’t flash large amounts of cash.
2. Don’t leave any purchases or your purse unattended while shopping or in a dressing room.
3. Try to carry as little as possible. Make multiple trips to your vehicle to store your purchases.
4. Never leave your children alone.
5. If your children get separated from you, teach them to find a cashier or a security officer and ask for help.
6. Report all suspicious activity. Call 911 with a description.
The CMPD continues to urge the community to lock their vehicles when unattended and remove any valuables out of plain sight when left in a vehicle. The CMPD will continue to augment patrol presence in and around shopping malls and retail outlets through the holiday season. Anyone expected to be away from home during the holidays is encouraged to:
• Always keep your doors and windows locked, day and night.
• Don’t leave your valuables visible through windows
• Keep ladders locked in garage.
• Have someone pick up your mail/newspapers
• Don’t advertise new purchases or gifts. Break up cartons before leaving them at curb.