FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, November 25, 2013
Contact: Rob Tufano, CMPD Public Affairs
As the holiday season approaches, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department would like to remind the community to be mindful of their safety and protecting their property during this time of the year.
Safety in the Parking Lots
Safety While Shopping
1. Pay with checks or credit cards when possible. Don’t flash large amounts of cash.
2. Don’t leave any purchases or your purse unattended while shopping or in a dressing room.
3. Try to carry as little as possible. Make multiple trips to your vehicle to store your purchases.
4. Never leave your children alone.
5. If your children get separated from you, teach them to find a cashier or a security officer and ask for help.
6. Report all suspicious activity. Call 911 with a description.
The CMPD continues to urge the community to lock their vehicles when unattended and remove any valuables out of plain sight when left in a vehicle. The CMPD will continue to augment patrol presence in and around shopping malls and retail outlets through the holiday season. Anyone expected to be away from home during the holidays is encouraged to:
· Always keep your doors and windows locked, day and night.
· Don’t leave your valuables visible through windows
· Keep ladders locked in garage.
· Have someone pick up your mail/newspapers
· Don’t advertise new purchases or gifts. Break up cartons before leaving them at curb.