Class "A" certification will only be granted if a minimum of 40 hours, or five consecutive days of mountain bike training covering the following areas listed below. Students must successfully pass those areas based on written and practical examinations.
- Cardiovascular fitness for the officer including target heart rate.
- Nutrition for the mountain bike officer.
- Saddle injuries.
- Knee injuries.
- Hand injuries.
- Foot injuries.
- Slow speed balance drills.
- Hypothermia and dehydration.
- Effective cycling lecture and video.
- Training rides (minimum of 4).
- Accident prevention for the mountain bike officer.
- Proper bicycle fit, bicycle accessories and equipment.
- Safety equipment and uniforms.
- Traffic enforcement and video.
- Emergency braking.
- Police technical skills, Cross over drills, cross over exit, cross over take down, power slide exit and dangers, push off cross over, kickstand exit, and look over drill.
- Gears and cadence.
- LEBA Tactical firearms training course (LEBATFTC).
- LEBA written examination consisting of a minimum of 25 questions.
Students must pass the written examination by a score of 70%. Practical exercises must be successfully performed and passed to the satisfaction of the instructor(s) teaching the course. Students must be able to successfully "Exit" the mountain bike safely and quickly, must be able to demonstrate a full emergency braking using the front brake only, the rear brake only and both brakes, must demonstrate a safe and quick simulated arrest of a suspect on foot and must complete training rides, effective cycling techniques and firearms to pass this course.
- Law Enforcement Bicycle Training Standards, 1993
Course fees are $150. The fees include a manual, certificate, L.E.B.A. pin, supplies, prizes and more.
Advanced Policing By Mountain Bike Training Course
- This is a 40 hour course designed specifically for bicycle officers wanting to improve their mountain biking skills beyond the basic level. The course description is as follows:
- Advanced Firearms Course
- Tactical Skills Refresher
- Bicycle Officer Safety
- Drug Interdiction
- Bicycle Maintenance
- Off Road Riding
Course fees $75. The fees include a manual, certificate, supplies, prizes and more.
For course information please call the Academy staff.
We will also be doing "C" Schools for Fire, Medic and Security. Please call for information.
For course information please contact the Academy staff.
Bicycle Maintenance Course
The Bicycle Maintenance course is a hands-on experience designed to provide each student with the personal skills needed to service the mechanical systems on most quality Police Mountain Bicycles. Each student will ( with close supervision ) completely disassemble and rebuild their bicycle from the bare frame, up to a ready to ride bike. See LEBA.org for the full scoop flyer
Bike Maintenance Classes
All Monday and Tuesdays