Report A Crime
Our Organization
Our Response Areas
For Your Safety
Our Newsroom
Print this PageSite Feedback
Animal Traps

Animal Care & Control provides humane live traps for the capture of nuisance dogs and cats. If an AC&C Officer has provided a trap to a citizen due to a nuisance issue in the field, Animal Care & Control will remove domestic animals caught in our traps; however, per NC State Law, wildlife that is caught in a trap and is not injured or sick will be released at the location. Animal Care & Control is not responsible for placing food in traps.

raps are provided for wild animals that are injured, diseased, or harmful to public safety.

In order for an Officer to respond to Wildlife Removal from a trap, the trap must belong to Animal Care & Control. Wildlife that is 
caught in any trap that does not belong to Animal Care & Control must be serviced by the citizen or a private agency. Animal Care & Control will continue to respond to domestic animals (dogs & cats) caught in traps that have been set by an Animal Control Officer or purchased by the citizen.

Animal Care & Control will not provide traps for, or impound, nuisance wildlife. For nuisance wildlife in attics, basements, 
crawlspaces or yards the citizen must hire a private Wildlife Damage Control Agent or trap and euthanize the animal themselves in accordance with NC Trapping Regulations. Wildlife Damage Control Agents, Licensed Trappers and season regulations are available at: NC Wildlife Trapping

Citizens wishing to borrow a trap:
Traps are made available for public loan, for up to a seven day period, at the Animal Care and Control facility located at 8315 Byrum Dr. Citizens may come to the facility to request and pick up a trap for loan Monday-Friday between the hours of 11am-3pm. Once the citizen captures a feline, the citizen must return the trap and the cat to Animal Care & Control and AC&C personnel will empty the trap. If wildlife or a canine is trapped call 311 or 704-336-7600 to enter a call for service.
The citizen is required to bring the borrowed trap back to Animal Care & Control. For additional inquiry the citizen may call 704-336-8007. Traps are loaned to citizen at the discretion of the Animal Care & Control and are on an as available basis. During high demand periods a waiting list will apply.​​