Animal Care & Control does their best to make our adoptable pets as comfortable as possible during their time here until they find their forever homes. The following items below are supplies that we always need. You can buy these items and ship them directly to our shelter. The animals thank you!
If you would like to send a donation directly to Animal Care & Control to help us purchase any of these supplies, please send a check payable to “City of Charlotte” and earmark it for the specific supply you'd like for us to purchase.
Mail your checks or orders directly to:
Animal Care & Control
8315 Byrum Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217
*We always need kongs for cats, kittens, puppies and dogs, Nylabones, treat balls, and so much more. All of these items can be purchased from our Amazon wishlist.
Other items that you can purchase and donate:
- Dog/puppy and cat/kitten canned food
- Baby animal milk replacement
- Exotic animal food (parrot, small birds, ferret, frog, guinea pig, rabbit, iguana, hamster, rat, gerbil)
- Food/water bowls
- Heating pads
- Kuranda Cots (scroll down to the bottom of the page to learn more)
- Soft Paws (scroll down to the bottom of the page to learn more)
- Cases of bottled water (any brand)
*Kids also always want to try to help out our animals or animals around the community. Below is a list of items that can be found around your own home that kids can collect via a donation drive:
- Plastic grocery bags
- New or gently used blankets, towels, and wash rags
- Toilet paper rolls
- Empty cereal boxes
- Gently used children's socks
- Plastic bottle caps
- Empty plastic soda/water bottles
- Brown paper bags
- Shoe boxes of all sizes
- New or gently used pillow cases (no holes)
- New or gently used bed sheets (solid colors only please)
*Kids can make blankets:
- Blankets that are handmade and loving crafted to be used for our dogs and cats in their kennels (all sizes). You can find instructions on how to make blankets here.
*Kids can help with making dog coats for the shelter dogs:
Rachel Schul developed sewn and colorful, fun fleece coats for our shelter dogs to help keep them toasty warm every winter. She is always looking for sewers, as well as helpers who can cut coat patterns. She is always in need of donated fleece material, sewing thread, or monetary donations to buy this material to make more coats.
- If you would like to donate towards this project you can send all materials or monetary donations to Animal Care & Control, 8315 Byrum Dr, Charlotte 28217. Be sure to write "Dog Coats" on the check's memo line.
- If you would like to get your kids involved in a "coat cutting party", and/or can help sew coats please contact AC&C's Julia Conner at email@example.com.
*Kids in 4-H or Scouts who need to earn a building badge can build dog houses to help the animals in their community.
Often times our Animal Control Officers come across dog owners who don’t realize the laws and ordinances regarding proper pet containment and provisions for dogs who live outside. We educate these owners on the proper needs their dog. One of the most important needs is proper shelter. Sometimes owners simply can’t afford even the most basic shelter.
It’s our mission to bring them into compliance rather than forcing them to owner surrender their dog. When we have an inventory of donated dog houses we will supply them one. Once they receive the dog house, we will have follow-up visits to ensure they are staying in compliance with our ordinances and providing the proper care for their dog.
KURANDA COTS AND SOFT PAWS
We rely on groups and organizations to help supply us with dog houses for this program.
Check out these websites to get ideas for building dog houses:
How would you like to sleep on hard concrete or metal surface? Well, the dogs and cats don't like it either. We find that many dogs and cats like to sleep on these soft Kuranda Cots.
Here's how you can help us provide these cots to all our canine and feline residents:
Click here to order directly from the Kuranda Cot website. The shelter's name of CMPD Animal Control Bureau must be selected.
Soft Paws is a product invented specifically for cats. Since every cat has the natural desire to scratch things they sometimes scratch furniture and carpet rather than scratching posts made for cats. Some people don't like the idea of a cat scratching up their furniture or expensive rugs so they choose to declaw their cat at a veterinarian.
Declawing a cat is like amputating the end of your finger (including your finger nail). An alternative to cutting off the tip of your cats' toes are Soft Paws. They are easy to put on and prevent your cat from scratching anything in the household. Most cats don't even know they are wearing any.
The cap is filled with non-toxic glue and is placed on the cats freshly cut nails. Then, when a cap or two falls off, then it is time to trim the nails (cutting the rest of the caps off with the nail trimming) and place brand new ones on.
They come in a variety of colors and can be switched over at each nail trim.
We like to use these at Animal Care & Control for a variety of reasons. One main reason, to keep the public safe from accidental scratches during interactions. Another reason, they make black colored cats stand out from the rest. We are always in need of these Soft Paws and you can help make sure that we have a good supply by sending us an order of Soft Paws.