Arson is the top cause of fires in non-residential structures. Arson is the number two cause of fires in the home. Arsonists strike for many reasons, including spite and revenge, vandalism, crime concealment, insurance fraud, competition and extortion. Arson is an epidemic that robs communities of their valuable tax base and forces citizens to pay higher insurance premiums and taxes.
- There are about 500,000 arson fires each year in the United States.
- Approximately $4,000 in property is lost each minute as a result of arson.
- Arson is the leading cause of dollar loss from fire, exceeding $2 billion annually.
- Arson is the second leading cause of residential fire deaths.
- An average of 700 fires a year are investigated in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
- Juveniles account for 55% of arson arrest nationally.
Citizen involvement is imperative in identifying individuals responsible for setting arson fires. Without your tips on the identity of the arsonist, our entire community suffers.
Up to a $10,000 reward is available for anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and indictment of those responsible for setting an arson fire in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. Your calls are confidential and you can remain anonymous.
To report arson contact one of the following:
Crime Stoppers -704.334.1600
Arrest Arson Hotline - 704.336.2441