The Task Force held its first meeting on August 17, 2005 and was given the following charge:
- Develop an understanding of the scope of the homicide issue in Charlotte-Mecklenburg, including current trends, demographics and a historical perspective.
- Examine the underlying causes of homicides in Charlotte-Mecklenburg to develop an understanding of the issue as a community problem.
- Examine the best practices of other cities that have achieved a reduction in their homicide rates.
- Make recommendations on the programs and resources needed to address the homicide problem from a comprehensive community perspective and develop a series of proposed action steps to address the issue.
- Develop recommendations on a community education program that would give citizens a balanced perspective on the homicide issue and potential ways citizens can get involved to help reduce the number of homicides in this community.