How much does a smoke alarm cost?
- A smoke alarm may be purchased at most retail stores for about $10.00
How many should I have in my house?
- There should be a least one smoke alarm on every level of your household. Additional alarms will significantly increase your chances of survival.
Where should I install my smoke alarms?
- Follow the manufacturer's guidance on the recommended location of smoke alarms in a house. Most smoke alarms should be placed on the ceiling or high on a wall near the bedrooms. This enables the alarm to sense the smoke as it approaches the sleeping area. Install your smoke alarm away from air outlet vents to prevent dust accumulation.
Know How to Escape
- Your smoke alarm will awaken you, but you may not be thinking clearly. You should practice escaping before an emergency strikes. Once a fire has started, it spreads rapidly. You may have only seconds to get out. Normal exits from bedrooms may be blocked by smoke or fire. It is important everyone knows exactly what to do.
Identify Escape Routes
- Plan two exits from every room. Second story windows may need a rope or chain ladder to enable occupants to escape safely. Choose a meeting place outside the home so you'll know everyone has escaped. Practice your escape!
Maintenance is Important
- Your smoke alarm must be maintained properly to provide you and your family with protection.
How do I maintain my smoke alarms?
- Replace batteries according to the manufacturer's instructions. Remember to change batteries when you change your clocks!
- Dust the grill of your alarm.
- Test your alarm monthly or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Smoke Alarm Program
CFD partners with many community organizations to provide and install Smoke Alarms to residents upon request. To find out more about this program call the smoke alarm hotline at 704-336-2697, complete the Smoke Alarm Request Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org