FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Contact: Robert Tufano, CMPD
704-336-7042 (o) or 704-301-8605 (m), email@example.com
On Thursday, August 15, 2013, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department launched a new public crime mapping system that can be accessed through the www.cmpd.org
website. Some of the benefits associated with the new system include the following:
- More frequent data updates (daily)
- More straightforward, user-friendly interface
- Multiple background/base maps to choose from (streets, terrain, satellite)
- Various crime types are symbolized more intuitively on the map
New options include the following:
- Users can sign up to receive automatic alerts when specified crime types occur within a distance of a user-provided address.
- Users can e-mail links to specific “maps” that they create on-screen.
- Users can quickly view charts and graphs related to crimes displayed on the map.
- Users can quickly generate a listing of crimes on the map that is sortable by multiple columns.
- Users can download the CrimeMapping.com iPhone app from the iTunes store to quickly access crime maps on their mobile devices.