FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Contact: Catherine Bonfiglio, 704-336-4936
CharMeck 311 has been recognized for excellence in service and designated as a “Citizen-Engaged Community” by the Public Technology Institute (PTI). The designation recognizes best practices in various forms of technology including 311 services. The designees use at least six different self-service communication channels, such as online service requests, interactive voice response and mobile apps.
To qualify as a Citizen-Engaged Community, the organization must provide “seamless service that must engage citizens through multiple channels, empower citizens by enabling direct interaction, and then demonstrate accountability through performance reporting, for both calls and service delivery.”
CharMeck 311 supports 17 programs and services of the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. It joins the cities of Denver, New York and San Francisco, in being honored by PTI. Curt Walton, City Manager for the City of Charlotte, stated, “It is very gratifying for 311 to receive this honor and be recognized as a successful business model for citizen engagement. Staff at 311 work very hard to ensure that citizens, along with City and County partners, receive quality service. This recognition is a testament to their continued commitment to excellent customer service.”
CharMeck 311’s accomplishments include:
- In addition to phone contact, using technology to serve customers including the web, GIS, voice recognition, and mobile applications.
- CharMeck 311 received over 1.4 million calls for service in FY12.
- 318,000 citizens elected self-service via the web.
- The center answered 80.7% of the calls in 30 seconds, above the target of 70%.
- 410,000 service requests were entered and over 23,000 customers received face-to-face service at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center.
- Citizen feedback processes provide information to develop improvements in service delivery.
- Employee training and data analysis resulted in significant improvements in productivity.
- Seeking citizen feedback through phone surveys and focus groups.
- CharMeck 311’s Speakers Bureau Team participated in 48 community events this fiscal year.
- Participating in the Mayors Youth Employment program, giving participants the opportunity to gain experience in customer service and learn about public service careers.
CharMeck 311 will continue its focus on more effective processes and technologies to better serve its customers. The call center has 141 employees and averages 1.4 million calls annually. By the end of this year, CharMeck 311 will have received upwards of 14 million calls since its opening in July 2005.
PTI is a non-profit research and development organization assisting local governments in identifying technologies and trends to enhance operations, infrastructure, and best practices to improve efficiency.