FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, February 14, 2014
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Joint Information Center
The CharMeck Joint Information Center will close at 7 pm tonight (February 14, 2014).
WINTER STORM SERVICE UPDATE
(as of 2-14-2014, 5:30 p.m.)
Weather conditions continue to improve as local officials shift priorities to resuming normal operations and cleanup efforts. The public is still strongly encouraged to take precautions on roads, sidewalks and parking lots as they go back to normal activities.
Charlotte Area Transit System
- CATS resumed full bus service on Friday morning, February 14, 2014.
- Several routes were on detour today and buses stayed off of neighborhood streets.
- Light rail continued to operate every 15 minutes throughout the day. Rail platforms are cleared and will continue to be treated.
- Special Transportation Services (STS) operated on a normal schedule today and will so for Saturday and Sunday.
- Bus and light rail services will operate on their regular Saturday and Sunday schedules.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department:
- CMPD has responded to 2004 total calls for service including 293 accidents (268 property damage, 24 personal injuries, and 1 fatality) since 9 a.m. Wednesday, February 12.
City of Charlotte Solid Waste Services
- Garbage, recycling and bulky item collection service resumes next week beginning Monday, February 17 on the regular collection schedule.
- Residents are advised to double bag any extra garbage accumulated and place at the curbside prior to 6:30 on regular collection day.
- Yard waste collection will continue to be suspended and will resume a regular collection schedule on Monday, February 24, 2014.
Charlotte Department of Transportation
- All main thoroughfares, connectors, collectors & bus routes have been plowed and salted numerous times. Crews are now working on residential streets.
- Contractors are hauling snow from uptown and then will be redirected to residential areas.
- 29 contractor vehicles and supporting crews assisting the street efforts.
- CDOT will continue working around the clock until all streets are passable.
- Full service recycling centers, Compost Central and Foxhole Landfill will return to normal operating schedules Saturday, February 15 at 7 a.m.
- All parks are currently closed but will open over the weekend as parking lots become safe.
- Greenways are snow covered in areas and the public need to use caution.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries return to normal hours on Saturday, February 15, 2014.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- CLT’s three parallel runways are open and operational.
- Aviation crews continue clearing the airfield of snow.
- Deicing operations ceased around noon today.
- Currently, aircraft are arriving and departing.
- More than 140 departing flights from CLT have been cancelled today.
- There are delays due to weather conditions in the northeast that are impacting other
- US Airways, a subsidiary of American Airlines, is urging customers to call US Airways reservations to rebook cancelled flights.
- Passengers with scheduled flights are asked to allow extra time to go through security.
- Customers are advised to check with their airlines for updated flight status before leaving to come to the Airport.
CharMeck 311 has received approximately 7,000 calls.
Normal operating hours will resume tomorrow (Saturday, February 15) starting at 7 a.m.