FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Contact: Linda Durrett, 704-336-3902
The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) basketball tournament began on February 28 and runs through March 3 at the Arena. Events will also be held at the convention center. Attendance is expected to be over 200,000, with heaviest attendance on Friday and Saturday. Heavy Uptown pedestrian and motorist traffic is expected during the evenings Thursday through Saturday.
Motorists are to be advised of the following:
- There are no planned street closures, but sporadic closures of Fifth Street near the Arena may occur during peak hours.
- When pedestrian traffic is high, motorist turns onto side streets from College Street and Tryon Street may be prohibited, specifically on College Street and Tryon Street between Fourth and Sixth Streets.
- On Friday and Saturday, motorist turns from College Street and Tryon Street between Stonewall and Ninth Streets may be prohibited.
- Motorists are encouraged to find alternate routes.
- Motorists wishing to park are encouraged to access lots by using the side street where the lot or deck is located.
Pedestrians will be crossing streets and walking to the Arena from parking lots and garages and the convention center. Motorists and pedestrians are cautioned to be alert at all times. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officers will be on duty at every main pedestrian intersection in this area Thursday through Saturday.
For more information about traffic management for this event, contact David Christopher, CDOT Special Events Coordinator, at 704-336-3889 or at email@example.com.
For more information about CDOT, contact Linda Durrett, CDOT Communications and Public Relations Manager, 704-336-3902 or firstname.lastname@example.org.