FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, April 22, 2013
Jimmy Rhyne, 704-336-3905
Tonia Wimberly, 704-353-1931
Planned road closures in the uptown area will occur for the next several weeks as construction continues on the Streetcar Starter Project. To receive email updates on these closures, sign up here
Visit the Charlotte Streetcar page
to learn more about the project.
Road Closure for East Trade Street/Elizabeth Avenue and McDowell Street
Duration: April 19 – April 24, 2013
Due to unforeseen circumstances and unexpected utility conflicts, the Trade Street closure has an additional delay. The intersection of East Trade Street/Elizabeth Avenue and McDowell Street will remain closed through Wednesday April 24, 2013. Motorists on Trade Street/Elizabeth Avenue will be able to travel between Kings Drive and Davidson Street. No turns will be allowed at McDowell Street from Trade Street/Elizabeth Avenue. Motorists on McDowell Street must follow the detours suggested below.
Motorists can use the following detours around this construction:
Road Closure for Trade Street (College – Caldwell)
- Eastbound East Trade Street: Use North Davidson Street, East Seventh Street, and North Kings Drive.
- Westbound Elizabeth Avenue: Use North Kings Drive, East Fourth Street and East Davidson Street.
- Southbound McDowell Street: Use East Sixth Street, North Davidson Street and East Third Street.
- Northbound McDowell Street: Use East Fourth Street, North Davidson Street, and East Fifth Street.
Duration: April 21 – May 19, 2013
A road closure is planned for Trade Street from Caldwell Street to College Street from April 21 through May 19, 2013 in order to install water lines, storm drain lines, and other utility work associated with the Streetcar Starter Project. Westbound Trade Street traffic will be routed to 4th Street via Caldwell and College Streets. Eastbound Trade Street traffic will be routed to 5th Street via College and Caldwell Streets.
- The Hyatt House Parking deck will remain open to the public and can be accessed from Caldwell Street. At the Road Closure Barriers, one lane in each direction will be open to provide access to the Hyatt House parking deck.
- The Ritz Carlton and Epicentre will remain open to the public and can be accessed from College Street. At the Road Closure Barriers, one lane in each direction will be open to provide access to the Epicentre parking deck and the entrance/exit to Ritz Carlton.
- Standard Parking and Bank of America will need to enter their parking deck from College or 5th Streets. The parking decks will be able to exit westbound on Trade Street, but will have no entrance from Trade Street.
- Bus routes will be affected. Learn more about those here.