FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, May 20, 2011
Contact: Linda Durrett, 704-336-3902
As part of the Food Lion Speed Street festivities, some uptown streets will be closed from Wednesday, May 25 – Sunday, May 29 (early morning.) Motorists are advised to seek alternate routes around the uptown area. Those wishing to attend the event or needing to commute to the center city are strongly advised to ride the LYNX Blue Line Light Rail.
More details are as follows:
- Motorists should allow for additional commute time
- During weekday work hours, uptown workers should arrive early and leave early if possible
- Commuters should utilize the I-277 loop/exit closest to their location
- Commuters traveling in an east/west direction are advised to use Trade, Fifth and Sixth Streets
- Commuters can access parking facilities regularly before 9:00 a.m.
- Streets Closed During Festival Hours on May 26-28, Noon – 11:00 p.m.:
o Tryon Street between Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard and Trade Street
o Third and Fourth Streets between College and Church Streets
o Poplar Street between Third Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
o Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard between Tryon and Caldwell Streets (access will be maintained to Wells Fargo and AT&T buildings)
o Brevard Street between Third Street and Stonewall Street (access maintained to NASCAR Hall of Fame parking garage)
- Additional Evening-Only Street Closures on May 26-28, 6:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.:
o College Street at Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (Intersection will be closed)
o Church Street between Fourth Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
o Third Street between Church Street and Mint Street
- Reopening for weekday morning rush, 6:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.:
o Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Third Street and Fourth Street between College Street and Church Street
o Brevard Street between Stonewall Street and Third Street
For more information about the LYNX Blue Line schedules, pick ups locations and stops, click here.
Click here for a complete street closure schedule (PDF). For an event site map, click here (PDF). For detailed event information please visit www.600festival.com.
Contacts for the City of Charlotte during the event are:
Emily Cantrell, Charlotte Special Events Coordinator: 980-297-6219 (cell)
David Christopher, Charlotte Special Events Coordinator: 980-722-5453 (cell)