Items such as household furnishings, appliances, mattresses, box springs, lawn equipment and similar items too large to be placed in the garbage rollout cart and not eligible for recycling or yard waste collection are considered bulky waste and must be scheduled for collection.
Want To Donate Your Bulky Waste?
If you have reusable bulky waste that you would like to donate to a non-profit organization, contact Goodwill Industries, United Way, Habitat for Humanity Restore or The Salvation Army for more information.
Crisis Assistance Ministry accepts working condition stoves, refrigerators, microwaves, washers and dryers (electric only), mattresses and box springs*, dressers and chests of drawers, tables and chairs, dinette sets, sofas and loveseats, and chairs. Donations are distributed free-of-charge to families in financial crisis and/or leaving homelessness through the community’s Furniture Bank.
*Due to NC law, mattresses and bedsprings can not be resold. However, Crisis Assistance Ministry is the only charity which can accept, sanitize, and redistribute mattresses and box springs to families in need without charge.
For more information or to schedule pick up of your donated furniture, mattresses, or appliances, please contact Crisis Assistance Ministry at 704-522-4978. or click here to visit their website.
How To Schedule Bulky Waste For Collection
Bulky waste must be scheduled for collection. Items placed at the curb without scheduling WILL NOT be collected. Click here for a full list of bulky waste accepted for collection.
You can schedule:
- By calling 311 (704.336.7600)
When you submit your request, you will receive a collection day and confirmation number. When scheduling a bulky waste collection, please have the following information available:
- Description of item to be collected
To find your collection day for all services, visit the GeoPortal system, enter your address in the Search box, and then click on Services.
How To Prepare Bulky Waste For Collection:
- Please place bulky waste at the curb by 6:30 am on your scheduled collection day.
- Place bulky waste within six feet of the curb and at least three feet away from other collection items and obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Do not place bulky waste and the rollout carts. Do not block the sidewalk.
- Please do not put items curbside until the day before the scheduled collection. Items at the curb more than 24 hours before the scheduled collection could result in a fine of at least $50.
- All items must be free of food, clothing, trash, and flammable materials such as gasoline.
- Please remove doors from refrigerators and rims from tires.