Recyclables are collected every-other-week on the same day as garbage and yard waste collection. To find your collection day and recycling week, visit the GeoPortal system, enter your address in the Search box, and then click on Services. If you already know your collection day and your recycling collection week (Orange or Green), you can refer to the Recycle It! Collection Calendar to stay up-to-date on your collection schedule.
NEW ITEM NOW ACCEPTED FOR RECYCLING COLLECTION ... PIZZA BOXES. Residents may now recycle pizza boxes in their recycling cart. Pizza boxes are also now accepted at the County's recycling centers.
The following items are accepted in the Recycle It! Program:
Reminder: According to state law, plastic numbers 1 & 2 and aluminum should always be recycled and never discarded in the garbage.
- Aerosol cans
- Glass bottles/jars
- Juice boxes
- Milk and juice cartons
- Pizza boxes (NEW)
- Plastics 1-5 & 7
- Spiral paper cans
- Steel/tin cans
The following items are NOT
accepted in the Recycle It! Program:
- Auto parts
- Bottle caps/lids
- Bulky waste
- Food wrappers/plastic film
- Light bulbs
- Mini blinds
- Paper plates/cups/napkins
- Plastics #6
- Plastic bags
- Plastic food trays/cups/cutlery
- Shredded paper
- Wire hangers
- Yard waste
Note: Appliances must be scheduled for bulky item collection and not placed in rollout carts. Batteries and light bulbs are household hazardous waste and may be taken to one of Mecklenburg County's Full-Service Recycling Centers. Electronics may also be taken to a full-service recycling center. All other non-recyclables listed above may be disposed of in your garbage rollout cart.
|How To Prepare Recyclables For Collection:
- Rinse and remove all food/liquid residue from recyclable items
- Remove caps/lids from bottles and containers
- Do not bag recyclables. Place recyclables loosely in the recycling cart. Do not overfill the recycling cart. The cart lid must be closed.
- Place the recycling cart at the curb no sooner than the day before your scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 am on collection day.
- Place the recycling cart within six feet of the curb and at least three feet away from the garbage rollout cart, yard waste and bulky waste. Make sure it's also three feet away from obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Please do not block sidewalks.
- The recycling cart must be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection. A minimum $50 citation may be issued if you place the recycling cart out sooner than the day before your scheduled collection or leave it at the curb past midnight on your collection day.
Additional Recycling Carts
Need a second recycling cart? Call 311 (704.336.7600) to order a second recycling cart. The price for the additional cart is $40.
The second recycling cart will have a different color lid which will easily identify it as a second cart. Collection service for two recycling carts will only be provided to residences with a primary recycling cart and identified second recycling cart.
Red Bin Recycling
If you're recycling using the red bin instead of the recycling cart, a maximum of two red bins will be collected every-other-week on your scheduled collection day. If you no longer want your red recycling bin, you may place it inside the recycling cart for collection or you can take it to one of Mecklenburg County's Full-Service Recycling Centers.