FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Contact: Charita Curtis, 704-432-3538 or 704-363-5104 (cell)
Due to recent inclement weather, the City of Charlotte Solid Waste Services has suspended garbage and recycling collection services today. Yard waste and bulky item collection services are suspended until Tuesday, January 18. Customers with bulky item collection scheduled for this week are advised to call 311 (704.336.7600) after their scheduled collection date to have collection rescheduled for next week.
Beginning tomorrow, if weather permits, garbage and recycling collection services for Wednesday customers will be provided until completed. Thursday customers will be collected on Thursday, January 13 and Friday customers on Friday, January 14. Both Monday and Tuesday customers should leave their garbage and recycling carts curbside until all collections are completed by Saturday, January 15.
Business garbage, litter picking, dead animal collection services and Tryon Street Mall/Central Business District cleaning and maintenance operations are also suspended for today and will be on the same collection schedule for the remainder of the week as residential collection services.
Solid Waste Services will not
collect garbage, recyclables, yard waste and bulky items on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 17. Collection services will operate on a one-day delay for the entire week with Friday customers receiving service on Saturday, January 22.
To ensure collection, residents are asked to
- Place collection items curbside by 6:30 a.m. on collection day and remove garbage and recycling carts by midnight that same day.
- Place collection items within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from other collection items and obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Please do not block the sidewalk.
- Bag all garbage before placing it in the rollout cart. Do not overfill the cart.
- Remove food/liquid residue and lids from all recyclable containers before placing them in the recycling cart.
- Call 311 (704.336.7600) or visit http://curbit.charlottenc.gov to schedule bulky item collection.
For up-to-the minute information on the Curb It! collection schedule, residents are advised to call 311, check local media listings, The GOV Channel (Cable 16) and the Solid Waste Services website at http://curbit.charlottenc.gov.