Communicated: June 13, 2013
Closure dates: June 17, 2013 to June 21, 2013
To accommodate railroad crossing repairs, CSX Railroad will close the 1300 block of Central Avenue between Pecan Avenue and Hawthorne Lane beginning on Monday June 17, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. until Friday June 21, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. Motorists can detour by following signs along Hawthorne Lane, Parkwood Avenue and The Plaza (shown in blue on map below). Congestion and delays are expected. Motorists are advised to seek alternate routes.
The Charlotte Department of Transportation is sharing this information with the traveling public as a courtesy. CDOT does not permit or control railroad closures. This is entirely a function of the railroad. For more information about this closure, please contact Brandon Horne, CSX Railroad, at 704-401-3178.
Access to all businesses within the closure will be maintained.
CATS will be affected.
Please note that weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Motorists and pedestrians near railroad crossings should respect the crossing and the track by following these tips:
Always expect a train at every highway-rail intersection;
- Freight trains do not travel on a predictable schedule and passenger train schedules frequently change;
- Trains ALWAYS have the right-of-way over ambulances, fire engines, cars and law enforcement;
- Always stop your vehicle when crossing gates are down or lights are flashing. Never try to drive around the gate. Look both ways, listen and proceed with caution;
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks. When approaching an intersection at railroad tracks, keep your car safely behind the white lines; and
- Never race a train to a crossing.
- For more information about these railroad repairs, contact Brandon Horne with CSX Railroad, 704-401-3178.
- For more information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne of Charlotte Department of Transportation at 704-336-3905.
- For more information about CDOT, contact Linda Durrett, Communications and Public Relations Manager, CDOT, 704-336-3902 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.