Communicated: April 9, 2014
Closure dates: April 10, 2014 – April 11, 2014
To accommodate emergency railroad crossing repairs, the 6800 block of Freedom Drive (between Mount Holly Road and Old Mount Holly Road in the Paw Creek area) will close Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 9 a.m. and will reopen Friday, April 11, 2014 at 5 p.m. Motorists can detour around the closure via Mount Holly Rd/Rozzelles Ferry Road, Valleydale Road and Fred D. Alexander Boulevard.
Access to all businesses and homes within the closure will be maintained.
CATS will be affected.
The Charlotte Department of Transportation is sharing this information with the traveling public as a courtesy. CDOT does not permit or control railroad closures. This is entirely a function of the railroad. For more information about this closure, please contact Brandon Horne, CSX Railroad, at 704-401-3178.
Please note that weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Motorists and pedestrians near railroad crossings should respect the crossing and the track by following these tips:
- Always expect a train at every highway-rail intersection;
- Freight trains do not travel on a predictable schedule and passenger train schedules frequently change;
- Trains ALWAYS have the right-of-way over ambulances, fire engines, cars and law enforcement;
- Always stop your vehicle when crossing gates are down or lights are flashing. Never try to drive around the gate.
- Look both ways, listen and proceed with caution;
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks. When approaching an intersection at railroad tracks, keep your car safely behind the white lines; and
- Never race a train to a crossing.
For more information about this railroad repair, contact Brandon Horne, CSX Railroad, at 704-401-3178.
For more information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne, CDOT, at 704-336-3905.
For more information about CDOT, contact Nicole Ramsey, CDOT Communications Assistant, at 704-336-3870 or email@example.com.