FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, August 8, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Aug. 8, 2014
Upcoming CityLYNX Gold Line Road Closures
Charlotte, N.C.— Due to CityLYNX Gold Line construction, the following roads will be impacted. Please see below for updated and new closures.
NEW Intersection Closure: Caldwell Street and East Trade Street
- Closes Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014, at 9 a.m. and will reopen Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014.
- Detour is Davidson Street, East Fourth Street, College Street, and East Fifth Street (shown in blue and green below).
- Necessary to accommodate rail installation.
- The 300 and 400 blocks of East Trade Street between College Street and Caldwell Street will remain closed until Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014.
Update: Hawthorne Lane
- The 200 block of Hawthorne Lane between Elizabeth Avenue and East Fifth Street closed Saturday, June 28, 2014, at 9 a.m. and will reopen Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014, at 6 p.m. Delay is due to contractor scheduling conflicts.
- Northbound- Motorists traveling northbound Queens Road can use East Fourth Street, Charlottetowne Avenue and East Seventh Street (shown in green on map).
- Southbound- Motorists traveling southbound Hawthorne Lane can use East Seventh Street, Caswell Street and Randolph Road (shown in blue on map). Access to the Main Hospital Entrance on Hawthorne Lane will be maintained from Fourth Street (shown in magenta on map).
- Stage 1 closed the 200 block of Hawthorne Lane between Elizabeth Avenue and East Fifth Street on Saturday, June 28, 2014, and will reopen Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014.
- Stage 2 expanded the closure to include the intersection of Hawthorne Lane and Elizabeth Avenue on Saturday, July 12, 2014, and will reopen the intersection Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014.
Update: East Trade Street
- The 300 and 400 blocks of East Trade Street between College Street and Caldwell Street (shown in red on map) closed Tuesday, May 27, at 9 a.m. and will now reopen Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014. Delay is due to the closure of the East Trade Street and Caldwell Street intersection and contractor scheduling conflicts.
- Closure is necessary to accommodate rail installation.
- Detour route is:
- Motorists on eastbound East Trade Street can use North College Street, East Fifth Street, and North Caldwell Street (shown in green on map).
- Motorists on southbound North Caldwell Street wanting to access East Trade Street can use East Fourth Street and South College Street as a detour (shown in blue on map).
- Motorists should allow for additional commute time and use alternate routes. Please refer to above detour maps.
- Local access will be maintained.
- CATS will be affected.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
- Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
- Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
For more information about the CityLYNX Gold Line- Phase 1 construction, contact Tonia Wimberly, Engineering and Property Management, at 704-353-1931.
For additional information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne, CDOT, at 704-336-3905 or firstname.lastname@example.org
or Troy Baker, CDOT, at 704-309-9629 or email@example.com
For more information about CDOT, contact Doreen Szymanski, CDOT Public Service & Communications Division Manager 704-336-7527