Communicated: June 13, 2013
Closure dates: July 1, 2013 to July 8, 2013
To accommodate railroad track maintenance, CSX Railroad will be closing railroad crossings in the Charlotte Metro Region during the week of July 1, 2013 through July 8, 2013. As CSX Railroad maintains their tracks, they will need to close the crossings for six to eight hours. Due to variation in the work schedules, advance warning of these closures will only be through the media. Detours will be signed for these closures and information will be forwarded as it becomes available. The crossings within the Charlotte city limits that should be closed for six to eight hours during this date range are:
- North Sharon Amity Road
- McAlway Road
- Bascom Street
- Pecan Avenue
- Louise Avenue
- North Davidson Street
- North Brevard Street
- North Church Street
- Johnson Street
- North Summit Avenue
- Reno Avenue
- Rozzelles Ferry Road
Also, traffic may have to be temporarily stopped for several minutes at a time while work occurs over the roadway at the following locations:
- Monroe Road between Dunn Avenue and Puhlman Street
- Hawthorne Lane between Central Avenue and Kennon Street
- Seigle Avenue between Otts Street and Van Every Street
- North Tryon Street between West Liddell Street and West 12th Street
- West Brookshire Boulevard Ramp to Beatties Ford Road
- Idaho Drive between West Brookshire Boulevard and Rozzelles Ferry Road
Access to all businesses and homes within the closures will be maintained.
CATS will be affected.
The Charlotte Department of Transportation is sharing this information with the traveling public as a courtesy. CDOT does not permit or control railroad closures. This is entirely a function of the railroad. For more information about this closure, please contact Brandon Horne, CSX Railroad, at 704-401-3178.
Please note that weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Motorists and pedestrians near railroad crossings should respect the crossing and the track by following these tips:
- Always expect a train at every highway-rail intersection;
- Freight trains do not travel on a predictable schedule and passenger train schedules frequently change;
- Trains ALWAYS have the right-of-way over ambulances, fire engines, cars and law enforcement;
- Always stop your vehicle when crossing gates are down or lights are flashing. Never try to drive around the gate. Look both ways, listen and proceed with caution;
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks. When approaching an intersection at railroad tracks, keep your car safely behind the white lines; and
- Never race a train to a crossing.
- For more information about these railroad repairs, contact Brandon Horne with CSX Railroad, 704-401-3178.
- For more information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne of Charlotte Department of Transportation at 704-336-3905.
- For more information about CDOT, contact Linda Durrett, Communications and Public Relations Manager, CDOT, 704-336-3902 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.