Communicated: June 27, 2013
Closure dates: June 29, 2013 - June 30, 2013, 12:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. daily
The Light Rail crossing on Remount Road between South Boulevard and Dunavant Street will close daily from 12:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. beginning Saturday, June 29, 2013 through Sunday, June 30, 2013. Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) will be conducting testing of the signalization system for the new light rail crossing at Poindexter Drive. Motorists wishing to travel from South Tryon Street to South Boulevard may use South Tryon Street, Clanton Road and South Boulevard (shown in blue below).
Access to residences will be maintained.
CATS will not be affected.
Please note that weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Motorists and pedestrians near railroad crossings should respect the crossing and the track by following these tips:
- Always expect a train at every highway-rail intersection;
- Trains do not travel on a predictable schedule and passenger train schedules frequently change;
- Trains ALWAYS have the right-of-way over ambulances, fire engines, cars and law enforcement;
- Always stop your vehicle when crossing gates are down or lights are flashing. Never try to drive around the gate. Look both ways, listen and proceed with caution;
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks. When approaching an intersection at railroad tracks, keep your car safely behind the white lines; and
- Never race a train to a crossing.
- For more information about the light rail power system work, contact Carl Nelson, CATS, 704-432-5005.
- For more information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne, CDOT, at 704-336-3905.
- For more information about CDOT, contact Linda Durrett, CDOT Communications and Public Relations Manager at 704-336-3902 or at email@example.com.