Communicated: January 24, 2014
Closure date: January 28, 2014, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
To accommodate railroad track maintenance, CSX Railroad will be closing the railroad crossing on Rozzelles Ferry Road south of Lawton Road from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014. A signed detour will be posted using Lawton Road, Brookshire Boulevard and Hoskins Avenue.
Access to all businesses and homes within the closure will be maintained.
CATS will be affected.
The Charlotte Department of Transportation is sharing this information with the traveling public as a courtesy. CDOT does not permit or control railroad closures. This is entirely a function of the railroad. For more information about this closure, please contact Bernard McAdams, CSX Railroad, at 704-777-1173.
Please note that weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Motorists and pedestrians near railroad crossings should respect the crossing and the track by following these tips:
- Always expect a train at every highway-rail intersection;
- Freight trains do not travel on a predictable schedule and passenger train schedules frequently change;
- Trains ALWAYS have the right-of-way over ambulances, fire engines, cars and law enforcement;
- Always stop your vehicle when crossing gates are down or lights are flashing. Never try to drive around the
- gate. Look both ways, listen and proceed with caution;
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks. When approaching an intersection at railroad tracks, keep your car safely behind the white lines; and
- Never race a train to a crossing.
For more information about this railroad repair, contact Bernard McAdams, CSX Railroad, at 704-777-1173.
For more information about this closure, contact Jimmy Rhyne, CDOT, at 704-336-3905.
For more information about CDOT, contact Nicole Ramsey, CDOT Communications Assistant, at 704-336-3870 or email@example.com.