News & Traffic
About Us
Customer Care
Grease Free
Print this PageSite Feedback

Low Water Pressurefaucet pouring water

Low water pressure at one faucet? A clogged aerator on a faucet can slow the flow.  Remove the aerator from the faucet, clean it, and put back on.

Low water pressure only with hot water? Consult with a plumber.

Low water pressure throughout the house?
Products like water softeners or filters may reduce water pressure if recently added or needs to be serviced.  A water leak in plumbing can also affect pressure.

If you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) installed to protect your plumbing, it may need adjusting.  Most PRVs are installed after the water meter or before the water heater.  Talk to a plumber before adjusting it.

If your water pressure suddenly drops to almost nothing ... it is could be a result of a broken water line. 
Call 311 to report sudden drops in pressure.

High Water Pressure

If your home is in a geographically low point (near a creek) or near a water pumping facility, you may experience water pressure higher than 80 psi. Unfortunately, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utility Department can’t alleviate high water pressure, but you may consider having a licensed plumber install a pressure-reducing valve at your home.

County building codes require pressure-reducing valves (PRVs) to be installed on new or remodeled residential plumbing where water pressure exceeds 80 psi.

A PRV reduces the water pressure coming into your home, if needed, to protect your plumbing much the same way that a surge protector protects your computer or television. A licensed plumber can assess your current plumbing system and recommend whether a PRV is needed for your home.

Where does my responsibility begin and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities end?
The Property Owner maintains the water pipe from end of meter box to buildings. The property owner is responsible for pipes and fixtures in the buildings and wastewater pipes until the edge of street or street right-of-way.  Additional information about plumbing is here.

How much do they cost?
The cost of a PRV assessment, adjustment, and/or installation varies. Remember it's always a good idea to get more than one price quote. Pressure-reducing valves, like all plumbing, have a lifespan and will need to be replaced in the future.

Who can assess my water pressure, plumbing and possibly install or adjust the pressure-reducing valve (PRV)?
A licensed plumber should perform the assessment, adjustment and/or installation. You can find a list of licensed plumbers in the yellow pages of the telephone directory. It is always best to check with the Better Business Bureau.

NOTE: Please be sure your plumber clearly explains any warranty that may apply to the PRV and to the plumber's work.

What if I already have a PRV?
Customers who already have a pressure-reducing valve on their plumbing should have it inspected by a licensed plumber to ensure that it is in proper working condition. Pressure-reducing valves, like all plumbing, has a lifespan and will need to be replaced in the future.

Failure to safeguard private plumbing may result in damage to pipes, appliances (hot water heater, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc.) or other private property in and around your home.