The following has been adapted from Charlotte Code Sec. 15-272 and 15-273. Any violation of these articles may be enforced by the issuance of a civil penalty in the amount of $50 or by arrest.
It is unlawful for any person to commit the following acts on a CATS or LYNX vehicle:
- Smoke or carry any lighted tobacco product or expel the residue of any other tobacco product including chewing tobacco
- Consume any alcoholic beverage or possess an open container of any alcoholic beverage
- Engage in disruptive, disturbing behavior including: loud conversation, profanity or rude insults, or operating any electronic device used for sound without an earphone(s)
- Take any animal onto a vehicle unless its purpose is to assist a person with a disability or in training activities
- Carry, possess or have within immediate access any dangerous weapon
- Possess or transport any flammable liquid, combustible material or other dangerous substance such as gasoline, kerosene or propane
- Vandalize the vehicle or station platform by writing, marking, scribbling, defacing or causing damage to the vehicle or platform facilities in any manner
- Beg by forcing yourself upon another person
- Excrete any bodily fluid or spit upon or at another person on the vehicle or station platform
- Possess, use or sell any controlled substance
- Lying down on seats, benches or tables at stations and bus stops
- Standing, sitting or lying within 2 feet of the edge of the rail station platforms except for boarding and exiting the light rail vehicle
- Skating or skateboarding on station platforms
- Trespassing upon any area not open to the public and posted as such
PROPER FARE AND PROOF OF PAYMENT
It is against the law to ride a CATS or LYNX vehicle without paying the proper fare. All passengers must either pay the appropriate fare or use a valid transfer, pass or ticket.
The LYNX Blue Line operates as a Proof of Payment fare collection system. Everyone riding must be able to produce, on demand, proof of payment or a valid transfer, or pass when requested to do so by a fare inspector.