CATS knows how important it is for students to experience lessons outside the classroom. That's why Wheels for Learning is your school's pass to get out of the classroom and into the community for a "hands on" learning experience.
Give your students the opportunity to experience firsthand how their current studies are applied in real-life situations. That's what Wheels for Learning is all about and the best part is that students can ride for 1/2 price. We'll take you anywhere our existing transit routes go, including the LYNX Blue Line. So your opportunities are virtually limitless!
For more information fill out the Wheels for Learning Request Form below.
The program is simple...here are the guidelines:
1. The program is for students in grades K-12 attending public, private, or home schools.
2. It is preferred that all classes requesting to ride LYNX receive Operation Lifesaver Safety Training from a certified presenter prior to their scheduled trip. CATS staff will work with the teacher to set up the training.
3. The group must be within walking distance of a bus stop or light rail station. Your pick-up and drop-off locations must be on or near an existing transit route. Most Charlotte-area schools are on existing routes or within walking distance. If your school is not, you must have transportation to and from the stop or light rail station. Large groups requiring more than one bus or train must wait for the next scheduled trip. Special or additional vehicles will not be sent by CATS.
4. All field trips are to be for educational purposes and must consist of an origination and a destination point.
Now, you are ready to put your wheels in motion and take your lessons to the streets. For more information, call CATS at 704-336-RIDE (7433).
Follow these five simple steps and you're on your way:
1. Contact any destination on an existing transit route that coincides with your current classroom studies and arrange a tour.
2. Contact CATS via e-mail at email@example.com or call us at 704-336-RIDE (7433) to have our staff develop your itinerary. It will be sent to you before your trip. For trips on CATS bus routes, please give us at least two weeks notice. Any teacher requesting a Wheels for Learning trip for their class aboard the LYNX Blue Line should contact CATS at least four weeks in advance of the trip so that an Operation Lifesaver Safety Training class can be scheduled.
3. Passes can be ordered online and mailed to the school or you may pick them up at the Charlotte Transportation Center before your scheduled trip. Student's fares are half-off and teachers/chaperones are full fare. Teachers should complete the pass order form and fax it to the Charlotte Transportation Center Customer Service Information Center at 704-336-7660. Staff needs 24 hours to process your request. Teachers can pay for passes in advance by mailing a check to: CATS Pass Sales, 310 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28202. Make all checks payable to Charlotte Area Transit System. Or you may visit the Customer Information Center, pay with cash, check, money order, VISA or MasterCard; and pick up the passes. Passes can also be mailed to the school after payment has been received.
4. Arrive at the bus stop or light rail station at least seven minutes before the scheduled pick-up time (don't be late).
5. Board the bus or train and enjoy the ride!