February 21, 2013
The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS
) is adjusting the LYNX Blue Line light rail service over several weekends to accommodate construction work near the New Bern Station. Beginning this weekend, February 23 and 24, the LYNX Blue Line will only operate from the I-485/South Boulevard Station to the Scaleybark Station. Transportation service areas north of Scaleybark Station, between the New Bern Station and the CTC/Arena station, will be accessible via CATS bus service. The Seventh Street Station will not be served.
Construction crews are installing a vehicular grade crossing to connect Poindexter Drive to South Boulevard and Youngblood Avenue. “Installation of a new grade crossing is being done in order to add an east-west connection and enhance the local street network given the amount of additional residential development taking place adjacent to the light rail line,” says Tina Votaw, CATS Transportation Planner. “We appreciate the patience of our customers during the temporary construction work.”
To assist customers, the light rail stations that are temporarily closed will have signage directing riders to the nearest bus stop. CATS will be using existing bus stops for this service. Just look for the bus stop that reads “LYNX Connector
.” When the bus approaches, the sign on the front of the bus will also read “LYNX Connector.” The LYNX Connector is designed to operate with limited stops between the LYNX Blue Line stations that are temporary closed and uptown Charlotte.
Tickets can be purchased at the LYNX stations that are open from the ticket vending machines. If you are paying for your ride on the bus, you will need cash and must have exact change. Regular local fare is $2.00 one way. The bus driver cannot make change and the fareboxes do not accept credit cards.
Tips for our riders:
- Subject to weather, the construction work is scheduled for the following weekends and the LYNX Stations from Scaleybark to Uptown will be closed on:o
- February 23-24
- March 9-10
- Look for the “LYNX Connector” signage for bus pickup
- Bus fare is cash only and must be exact change. Local fare is $2.00 one way per person
- Passengers can ride from the bus to rail and vice versa with a transfer; an additional ticket is not required
- The Seventh Street Station will not be served
- Anticipate some delays and adjust your travel time
- The LYNX Blue Line is expected to return to its regular schedule Monday morning, February 25.
Customers can go to CATS website for the adjusted weekend schedule
. Construction work is weather dependent; call 704-336-7433 or check CATS webpage at www.ridetransit.org