Hawthorne & 5th Street Stop
Two places near the intersection of the Hawthorne and 5th Street inspired the design for this stop: Independence Park and Novant Health. In the Outbound Shelter, the artist reveals the origin of the City’s oldest public park, designed by landscape architect John Nolen in 1905. The park has several prominent features including a rose garden, a memorial gazebo, and a baseball stadium built as a part of President Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration in the 1930s. The park is still maintained today and actively utilized by neighborhood residents.
The Inbound shelter visually tells the story of Elizabeth College and Novant Health, which was formerly known as Presbyterian Hospital. In 1915, the hospital purchased the property from Elizabeth College, an all girls' college established in 1896.
5th and Hawthorne Outbound Windscreen Key
(click on the image for a closer view)
1. The shelter is populated with letters from landscape architect John Nolen to his wife during his trip to Charlotte to plan Independence Park in June of 1905. Excerpts read:
“Charlotte is no longer a city of the imagination...”
“Mr. Tompkins (owner of machine shop and factory) who has given me some information and a rough plan of the park and is to drive me this afternoon to the park itself.”
“Roosevelt is to speak in the square in the autumn. The Parks people are very kind to me.”
“Charlotte grows on me and the people too. It is a bustling little place full of life and growing rapidly.”
Courtesy of the Schlesinger Library at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University.
2. Official Map of Charlotte, from the office of the City Engineer in 1935. The artist has accentuated Independence Park in green. Courtesy of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
3.Topographic map of Charlotte and surrounding area, circa 1942. North Carolina State University Archives.
4. Elizabeth Community Organization Independence Park clean-up. The Elizabeth Community is one of the most historic neighborhoods in Charlotte. It officially became a part of the city in 1907 and was serviced by the original streetcar line that ran from McDowell Street to Hawthorne Avenue, much like the CityLYNX Gold Line. Photo courtesy of Ken Magas, Elizabeth Neighborhood Association.
6. Originally constructed in 1905, this small stadium in a natural depression in Independence Park was enhanced as a Works Progress Administration project in the 1930s. Photo courtesy of Robert Brandon III.
7. Photo of Independence Park in winter. Charlotte rarely experiences winter precipitation, and this photo by a neighborhood resident captures the magic and beauty of this city under a blanket of snow. Courtesy of Nancy Albert, Elizabeth Neighborhood Association.
8. Portrait of John Nolen, who designed Independence Park in the summer of 1905 as his first commission upon graduation from Harvard University. He also went on to design the Myers Park neighborhood in Charlotte as well as a campus expansion plan for UNC Chapel Hill in 1918, a city plan for Asheville, NC in 1920, and a Western NC regional plan in connection with the Blue Ridge Parkway. Subsequently he became one of the most sought after city planners nationwide, developing plans for cities such as Madison, WI and Sacramento, CA. Courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society, # WHi-12506.
9. Man cleaning the reflecting pool of the Arhelger Memorial in Independence Park. Lillian Arhelger was a teacher at Central High School who died tragically rescuing a young student from drowning in 1931. Courtesy of Nancy Albert, Elizabeth Neighborhood Association.
10. Barred Owls roost in the Independence Park and Elizabeth neighborhood tree canopy. Neighborhood residents have worked with ornithologists to learn about the wildlife in Elizabeth. Photo by Dennis Donohue.
11. Historic postcard with trolley at Elizabeth College. When Charles B. King set up this small Lutheran College in 1897, he acquired a substantial amount of funding from his father-in-law, Gerard Snowden Watts. In gratitude, King named the college after Watts' wife and his mother-in-law, Elizabeth. The Elizabeth name was later adopted for the surrounding community. The college operated until 1915. Courtesy of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
12. Photo of athletic field and Charlotte skyline from the Elizabeth neighborhood. Courtesy of Ken Magas, Elizabeth Neighborhood Association.
13. Staten Mansion, built in 1914. This historic home is an example of the stately real estate built by prominent Charlotte Citizens in Elizabeth in the early 20th Century. Now it is home to International House, a non-profit organization for international citizens. Photo courtesy of International House.
14. Dancers at Juneteenth Festival at Independence Park. Annual festival held in Independence Park celebrating the end of slavery in the United States. Photo courtesy of the Charlotte Observer.
5th and Hawthorne Inbound Windscreen Key
(click on the image for a closer view)
1. Handwritten Minutes from the first meeting of the Board of Directors of Presbyterian Hospital, January 1, 1903. Panels #1, #2, and #4. From the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring”. Courtesy of Novant Health. Reads as follows:
“Meeting Board of Directors Presbyterian Hospital
Board of Directors met January 1st, 1903. Present Drs. Monroe, Crowell, Irwin, and McCausler. Board of Directors was organized. Dr. Monroe was elected president and Dr. Irwin, Secretary and Treasurer. Dr. Monroe submitted plans of incorporation. Dr. McCausler were appointed a committee to have same passed by the present legislature.
Miss MacNichols, former head nurse of the Charlotte Private Hospital was elected head nurse of the Presbyterian Hospital.
Charges for board and nursing were established as follows
One in room -- $15.00/week
Two “ “ $10.00 “
“ ward $7.00 “
2. Detail from the official map of Charlotte from 1935, showing Trade Street diverging from Elizabeth Avenue at far left. Courtesy of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
3. Financial report of Presbyterian Hospital from 1907. Presbyterian Hospital, now known as Novant Health, was established in 1903. Ten local doctors purchased the former Charlotte Private Hospital and it was operated by the city’s six Presbyterian Churches. It moved to its current location on Hawthorne in 1918 when the property was vacated by Elizabeth College. Image Courtesy of Novant Health, from the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring.”
4. Handwritten musical notation for Elizabeth College school song. One advertisement for the college in 1901 highlighted the college’s “Special Advantages in Music and Art.” From the Elizabethan, circa 1905. Courtesy of Special Collections at J Murrey Atkins Library at UNC Charlotte.
5. 1944 advertisement and letter regarding applications for washable cotton nurse’s uniforms, difficult to obtain during wartime. From the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring.” Courtesy of Novant Health.
6. Postcard of Elizabeth College with flowerbed. Elizabeth College took pride in its location in Charlotte. A 1901 yearbook, Caps and Bells, praises the city saying, “Charlotte is a highly progressive and modern city of 25,000 inhabitants, with large mercantile and industrial interests that give promise to much larger growth, beautiful for situation and known as the ‘Queen City of the Carolinas’…Indeed the whole county thrills with romance and history.” Courtesy of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
7. Nursing school class of 1945. The school of nursing was established in 1903 and was managed by Ella MacNichols, mentioned in the minutes above. From the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring.” Courtesy of Novant Health.
8. Panoramic photo of picnic dinner to honor returning soldiers from WWI, May 20, 1919, on the lawn of Presbyterian Hospital. Courtesy of Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library.
9. Elizabeth 8K Road Race, led by an Elvis impersonator, 2012, presented by Presbyterian Orthopedic Hospital. Courtesy of Nancy Albert, Elizabeth Neighborhood Association.
10. The Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing class of 1907. In 2004 the nursing school was obtained by another local University, Queens, which continues the tradition of training healthcare professionals to this day. From the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring.” Permission of Novant Health.
11. Photograph of a Nurse holding a newborn baby. In the 1990’s Presbyterian grew to include Hemby Children’s Hospital, dedicated solely to the treatment of children. Photo Courtesy of Novant Health.
12. Photograph of Presbyterian Hospital. The hospital’s move to this location in 1918 provided space for 100 beds, making it the largest hospital at the time. From the book, “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring.” Permission of Novant Health.
13. Elizabeth College Students performing as the Hobo Band in 1914. Old yearbooks from the college show the diversity of extracurricular activities including music clubs, sports teams, literature, and even a matrimonial club to promote virtue and preparation for marriage. The Hobo Band was celebrated on February 23, 1909 when the local newspaper praised their performance as “one of the most original and entertaining events of the season.” Courtesy of Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission.
14. Modern Medicine at Presbyterian Hospital, now known as Novant Health. Permission of Novant Health.
15. The historic home of William Henry Belk founder of Belk’s department stores, was built in 1925 to house what would become his large family with 6 children, one of whom would become mayor from 1969-1977. The house, located at 200 Hawthorne Lane, was donated to the hospital and now houses administrative offices. Courtesy of Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission.
16. 1970s photograph showing how the hospital had grown to surround the original Elizabeth College building from “Presbyterian Hospital, The Spirit of Caring,” Provided by Elizabeth T. Johnson.
17. Elizabeth College music professor, circa 1900. Elizabeth College was known for its influence on Music Education and for the Gerard Conservatory of Music. Courtesy of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
18. Advertisement that was used as a postcard stating the sale price of the Elizabeth College property in 1913 featuring pictures of buildings and gate. Courtesy of Special Collections at J Murrey Atkins Library at UNC Charlotte, Mary Boyer Collection. Postcard Reads:
“Elizabeth College and Conservatory of Music, Charlotte, N.C.
A high grade college for women. $400,000 college plant. 20 Acres Shaded Campus”