Job Opportunities Internship Opportunities Volunteer Opportunities Cabinet Openings
There are no job opportunities at this time.
The Charlotte International Cabinet offers several internships each academic semester and in the summer. These internships are non-salaried positions, but offer an opportunity to garner a wealth of knowledge pertaining to international relations, business and governance. CIC interns also have the chance to build professional relationships with dynamic members of Charlotte's international community.
As these positions are non-salaried, the Cabinet requires students to receive academic credit for their internship.
This is a highly competitive internship. Only those candidates being invited for an interview will be contacted.
Fall and Spring Semesters
Duration: mid-August to mid-December (Fall) mid-January to mid-May
Hours: minimum of 16 hours per week, preferably in 5+ hour blocks.
Deadline for Applications: August 16 (Fall); December 2 (Spring)
Duration: mid-May to mid-August
Hours: minimum of 30 hours per week
Deadline: April 1
Intern duties may include:
- General office administration
- Community outreach and publicity - including composing media releases
- Desktop publishing - creating and assembling CIC brochures and literature; creating a weekly bulletin of international events in the Charlotte area
- Website maintenance
- Database maintenance - updating and maintaining the International Organizations and other CIC databases
- Project management and execution – work on CIC projects as directed by the Office of International Relations
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to multi-task
- Relevant educational background (university-level coursework), preferably in an international area of study
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Interest in and commitment to international cooperation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Some experience with website management (Content Management Systems and databases) is desirable, but not required
- Knowledge of a second language is a plus, but not required
We also offer opportunities for international students seeking experience volunteering in an American office environment. International interns must be at least 21 years old.
Interested students should submit a cover letter and résumé to: Alexis Gordon firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers are an important part of the Charlotte International Cabinet. The CIC welcomes volunteers for any event, including the Mayor's International Community Awards, the International Toast, and Beaujolais Festival. Please sign up to receive emails about volunteer opportunities. When filling out the form be sure to check the "volunteer" box.
- Sister City Committee Volunteers run our Sister City Relationships and help determine programming
- Projects and events are planned and carried out by volunteer committees.
- Home Hosts
- Host families provide a unique opportunity for visitors to experience the realities of daily life in an American home. The hosting family experiences a different culture in a very personal way and acts as an ambassador for the City of Charlotte and the United States.
Cabinet members are appointed to serve three-year terms by the Mayor, City Council, or City Manager. Individuals are appointed under the following categories: Business, Education, Ethnic/Cultural, Non-Profit, and an "Open" category. To find out if there are any current openings on the board please click here. A City Boards and Commissions application form must be completed and filed with the City Clerk's Office to be considered for appointment.