Charlotte's Future
Departments
Citizen Service
Print this PageSite Feedback
Charles A. Bland (1911-1915)

Public Service:
Dr. Bland served two terms as Charlotte's Mayor from 1911 to 1915.

Bland was one of Charlotte's prominent doctors.  He was a partner in the development of Dilworth and Crescent Heights.

During his Administration:

            Photo of Charles Bland
  • In 1913 Washington Heights was established. It was named for Booker T. Washington, a former slave that believed blacks could overcome adversity through education.
  • The U.S. Mint closed. It had not minted coins since before the Civil War. The building was used by the Red Cross and the Charlotte Women's Club.
  • The Norfolk and Southern Railroad came to Charlotte in 1913.
  • Trees along Tryon Street were cut to make way for the "Great White Way" street lighting system.
  • Phillip Lance sold peanut butter crackers business to business and house to house on his way to founding Lance, Inc.
  • Presbyterian College for Women was relocated from Ninth and College streets to Selwyn Avenue and renamed Queens College.